Find
Notify
Tools

Cold bluing patch
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
OK, I'm sick. I need to find a cold bluing solution that will match the matte black of the Winchester Classic, Safari Express.

I was out Saturday at the range shooting and a casual aquaintance asked what I was shooting and I showed him my M70 375 H&H. After looking it over he laid it on the table next to my shooting bench with the barrel on a couple of sand bags that I had laying there. About 5 minutes after he left I looked over and my Winchester had fallen off of the bench and landed in the dirt next to it. It apparently landed on part of the concrete foundation of the bench and scratched the rear sight leaf and left about a 1.5" bright metal scar on the barrel. I took it home and cleaned it off and used some 800 grit emery paper to feather the gouge and remove a high spot which left me with a 2" by 1/4" bright metal spot on the top of the barrel. I tried an old cold blue that I had in the shop but four coats left a semi-shiny finish that you could see the lighter areas through. Does anyone know of a product that will come close to matching the dark matte black of the Winchester finish?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fjold,

I have the same rifle model as you, same chambering.

the unfired rifle belonged to a moron, this fool had taken a set of quick release sling swivels and when the front one didn't fit the hole in the band used pliers to squish it in. marred the thing bad and got a couple light scratches in the barrel.

all that to say, after having the band made to look like new I got it hot blued and you can't ever tell it happened, there are some tiny scratches on the barrel around it still, but they were so minute I didn't want to worry about them. You could probably get yours made to match without too much expense, if it is a big deal to you.

I'm always reluctant to let people I don't know well handle my rifles.....then again the one time I had one fall off a bench I was the one that had set it there! Eeker

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Red, Who did the bluing for you? Mine looks bad enough that I wouldn't object at all to paying someone who could do a good job.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try this - useing brownells oxyblue or vans clod blue. Make sure the area is really clean. Then sit around the tv and take a swab and mop on the cold blue. Rubb it in well. Then take an alcohol soaked rag and re-clean - re swab re clean - keep doing this for awhile. Eventually I've been able to come with a pretty decent job. Boring as hell thats why I do it in front of the tv. May take you better part of an hour

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was done by Jim Biair at Half Moon in Montana. I don't have the contact info here but it might show up on a search of the forum. Let us know how it turns out whichever way you go on it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,
You have already polidshed it to high with .800 grit...thus the high shine...knock off the shine with 220 or 320 or use a cording wheel and then try bluing again..that might work..

Best to have the barrel reblued..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I also rubbed it down with 0000 steel wool between applications so that polished it also. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith/ reblue company that won't take 6 months?

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,
I'd send it to the guys at Hotflash up this way. Very nice work and turnaround time.

www.hotflashrefinishing.com

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craig, I just sent them an email asking about it.

Frank

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked out Hot Flash's website, and WOW are those prices high!
Does $149 for a matte finish seem high to anyone else?

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shopcart,, Couple years ago I had jeff Tandy in Hemet Ca. do a barreled action ,bottom metal and all the little parts charged me $50. He did a real nice job . He uses a supper fine material in his bead blast cabnet.

Fjold did ya accidently back your truck into the side of the guys car that accidently caused your rifle to fall? Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats my point, I charge $89.50 for a matte finish and up to $150 to $200 for a super nice hand-polished job.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks those prices are a bit out there.

I will say, however, that their price for parkerizing is fair considering the financial risk involved with offering the process.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Cliff, I'm looking for someplace to get this done so I'll check out your website. I need some gunpowder also so maybe I can mail the barreled-receiver to you then pick it up in person along with some powder.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't do mail order gunsmithing.
The city of Santa Ana gives me all sorts of problems on gun related issues, so I cannot leave guns overnight.
I am bluing this Saturday, so if you can make it down, everything gets done the dame day.

-Spencer