THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Question on fitting draw-bolt socks and drilling the through-bolt hole.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on fitting draw-bolt socks and drilling the through-bolt hole.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
When fitting draw-bolt socks and drilling the through-bolt hole, do you drill the hole first or fit the head of the stock to the action first?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3835 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Drill the hole first in case it don't go straight. Always, Unless you do as I sometimes to and drill it afterwards. From both ends. In a lathe.
Standard practice is to drill the hole in the blank and make the stock around the hole. Don't use a twist drill; they walk; use a single point or a lamp bit. Or a solid wood bit.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made up a few different diameter "gun drills" and use them to drill the through hole. They are patterned as the same drills they use for drilling barrels. They drill a straight hole. I also have a few piloted drills for counterboring for the screw head.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
me too. make the one flute drills out of 3/8ths drill rod.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
With a bit of carefull setting up (after starting the hole with a standard 12mm bit,)it isn't hard to do with simple tools and a length of 12mm mild steel rod sharpened as a "D" cutter

A length of 20mm rod makes a handy counterbore for the bolt head

With the first bity pined in place there is a self guiding simple rebore

And with a headless bold in the action it is simple to inlet the stock back into the action socket
These simple and cheap drill bits have done a few martini's and quite a few Lee Enfields and are easily resharpened.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have assisted on drilling a few.
A lot of shouting and swearing seems to be a requirement

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have assisted on drilling a few.A lot of shouting and swearing seems to be a requirement

Colorful words help. I use some silicon cuts down on the drag. Take and auger bit and remove the screw tip and recut the lead edge works pretty well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's how I do it:

I mark the 2 ends of the hole, put the center of the lathe on one end, then start the hole with a correct size center drill.  Follow up with a jobbers length bit, then a long bit.  Reverse it and cut the big end using a spade bit.  They meet perfectly in the center.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My method is like SSDaves.

But use a modifed aircrat extension drill bit, regrind the point to a brad tip, yes drill from both ends if you can. The front secton should be drilled longer than your stock bolt, if any run out then the counter bore will clean up.

Jobber length brad tips drill are now availbe from Grizzly, and they can be lengthend by silver soldering onto a longer peices of drill rod.

However like the Win M88 and 100 rifles, you can not drill from both ends, so a block is made to be clamped on the top of the stock to act as an guide to position the very rear of the drill, and then drill the pilot hole all the way thru towards the buttplate. Thus the need for a LONG pilot drill. Then counterbore for the bolt head.

I also use Forstner type counterbores, which I have added a guide on to follow the pilot hole in the stock.

Always more than one way to do the job, it just depends on what tools you have and your skill level.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after floking up a couple or 3 time i talked to kobe on just how to do it - he solved all the problems - i just give him the stock and let him drill it - and it's a lot cheaper than building the set up he has myself

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Going to have to try drilling half way. Drilling from one end on a blank I can get a touch of bit walk. Provided the blank is not super thin not that big of a deal. BUT if it can be eliminated all the better.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The secret to getting it straight is to use a single fluted "gun drill" and drilling in the lathe as pictured.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
single fluted "gun drill"

Confused I understand the single flute having trouble with the "gun drill"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
The secret to getting it straight is to use a single fluted "gun drill" and drilling in the lathe as pictured.

Some of us don't have a lathe so we find other ways to do it just as accurately

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
single fluted "gun drill"

Confused I understand the single flute having trouble with the "gun drill"

A gun drill is just a term. It refers to the type of drill bit used to drill rifle barrels. It has a single cutting edge and flute and is self aligning.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to some Gun drills that Track of the Wolf sells.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/...x/1042/1/ROD-DRILL-6

You can also make your own.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does anybody else use a dewalt 12v with a leupold 4x on it??

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote