Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harris Talon Action - Barrel thread
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. I have a Harris Talon action that is currently a 30/06. Thinking of getting it re-barrelled and was wondering what barrel thread/fitment goes with the action? Eg - remington/mauser. I have an opportunity to get a cheap barrel but it is currently threaded for a "large ring Mauser" action.
Thanks for any replies. Cheers.

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would remove the existing barrel and measure it. I always do that anyway, even when I have published specs. Never know....

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I would remove the existing barrel and measure it. I always do that anyway, even when I have published specs. Never know....

The only action I would blindly, re-barrel on a bet would be a Japanese Weatherby Mark V. And I even double check the measurements on those when I re-barrel them.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stebe, welcome top AR...lots of fellow Aussies here, so you're right at home. What caliber were you considering changing to?

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. As suspected there is no quick, easy answer. I will just have to wait until I am ready to get the job done and let the "smith" sort it out. I am looking at changing it to a 404 Jeffery. I realise that the action and bolt face will need a little work also but it is that sort of gun (custom job with fancy walnut etc). Since getting into the Blaser stuff this rifle doesn't get much use anymore so thought it could do with a face lift and make it a calibre that won't get much use anyway. Cheers and thanks again.

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

The only action I would blindly, re-barrel on a bet would be a Japanese Weatherby Mark V. And I even double check the measurements on those when I re-barrel them.

I don't understand this statement.

Blindly rebarrel??

Every barrel i've ever installed the old barrel removed, meticulously measured and notes taken if I don't have known good dimensions.

then the new barrle set up and machined to fit,

I don't know what you mean "blindly" as I would not even thread a tenon without the action in hand. Thread pattern (i.e. square, 55˚, 60 ˚ etc) and pitch are no big deal.

like dpcd said I'd pop the barrel and measure it up

This rifle should be a close copy of a Pre 64 Wincester so in that respect you can expect a cone breach, threads near the 1.0" x16 and an extractor groove cut. nothing to complicated

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Talon was in 416 Rigby. Hey, now that you have a Blaser, you don't have to worry about barrel threading :-)

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote