New
Find
Notify
Tools

timney trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a win model 70 made in 1969, 7 mag, horrible trigger, so i ordered a timney trigger at 3 lbs. tried to put it in and the pin that holds the sear in place is too large diameter to pass thru the hole in the timney "body".
YES I HAVE CONTACTED TIMNEY (sorry but i know what lots of responses will be)
just killing time here and wondering what to expect from timney if anyone else has had this problem, as in drill it out, the gun is too old and diminsions have changed, etc etc. oh, its their product #104. thanks

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without seeing the victim, it is hard to diagnose the problem. Only thing I can add is, the original model 70 trigger is one of the great ones. Somebody screw with it?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not sure why anyone would ever replace an original Model 70 trigger; it is the best design ever, and always can be adjusted to be great.
I am surprised Timney even makes a replacement; can't be good sellers. I have owned at least 30 model 70s; none were horrible, or even bad.
I know what I would do though; Have someone properly adjust the original trigger. Send the Timney back where it came from. I mean from where it came.
Or if you already threw the original away, drill the hole to fit. That sear pin has been standard for many decades; I know nothing about the new trigger. Totally different animal. A step backwards for sure.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

If there's some light rust or corrosion it might keep the pin from making it through the timney body. Might be worth it to run some 0000 steel wool and Hoppe's over it if it seems close. Maybe there's a burr of corrosion on the hole in the trigger body, also.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i still have original. never throw away usable parts.
i did buy it used but its in great shape. trigger pull has to be around the 8-10 lb range. shooting buddy says its so hard he can't keep it on target.
not much creep but pull is bad. off a bench on a sandbag rest by the time the trigger breaks its dinnertime.

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Not sure why anyone would ever replace an original Model 70 trigger; it is the best design ever, and always can be adjusted to be great.
I am surprised Timney even makes a replacement; can't be good sellers. I have owned at least 30 model 70s; none were horrible, or even bad.
I know what I would do though; Have someone properly adjust the original trigger. Send the Timney back where it came from. I mean from where it came.
Or if you already threw the original away, drill the hole to fit. That sear pin has been standard for many decades; I know nothing about the new trigger. Totally different animal. A step backwards for sure.

can the trigger be worked on off the rifle? can it be shipped sans rifle and be effectively fixed?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, send the pin and the trigger. Did you try to fix the original 8-10 pound pull? They are easy to adjust for weight of pull. And it can be adjusted alone as well on a donor rifle; not ideal, but it would be ok. Best to have the system though. You don't want it to jump off the sear if you drop it. I always smack the receiver with a hammer to make sure. Not a metal hammer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id just fix or have a smith fix the existing trigger, no other trigger is as good IMO...Its simple enough in design, that it can be fixed no matter the problem..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42154 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigger and safety are interconnected for workability and reliability. Adjusting on donor gun MAY or may not work

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a good deal of trouble with a Timney AR trigger today. The trigger tail was too thick and didn't allow the safety to engage. I had to diamond file off .025+ and test fit as I went. It took 6 attempts and about a shop hour. The trigger doesn't have pin retention springs so you have to use two set screws that are under the legs of the hammer spring to tension the housing and hold the pins. Then you have to put two more stop screws down on top of them. You have to do this while prying up the spring legs! Damn near $200 trigger no-thanks.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Id just fix or have a smith fix the existing trigger, no other trigger is as good IMO...Its simple enough in design, that it can be fixed no matter the problem..

i'll u tube it and see how involved it is. i asked for a RA# so i can send it back.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Weight of pull is the spring that you see and it is tensioned by two jam nuts. adjust them. Do not get it too light or the engagement surfaces will not hold if you drop the rifle; test it as I said above.
If your pull is ten pounds, you can bet that the nuts have the spring very compressed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to get trigger springs for Mod 70.
http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/c13_p1.html A touch with a ceramic file and your in business!

Posts: 746 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
Here is a link to get trigger springs for Mod 70.
http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/c13_p1.html A touch with a ceramic file and your in business!

ok, im a little confused here. more than a little. we had a death in the family sun nite and i'm doing what i can to keep my sanity and this is helping. anyway...as is, the original trigger assembly comes out as a trigger and a seperate sear. two pieces. the timney is a single piece with the sear enclosed in the trigger assembly BUT the hole for the sear end id way too small for the original pin to pass thru. the pics of the trigger assemblys that are in the link you sent show a single assembly exactly like the timney one i was sent, and they are only selling the spring. i think i want to keep the original seperate sear and trigger parts but lighten the pull. if this sounds confusing its because it probably is. sorry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone is thinking you have a later Model 70 with the new trigger. You don't. Any competent gunsmith could turn your original trigger into a creep-free, 2 1/2 to 3 lb trigger in 20 minutes but would have to have the whole barreled action to do so. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The first two spring pictures show the old trigger; the one you have. Only the last picture is for the new, enclosed trigger assembly.
It wouldn't take 20 minutes to adjust yours; more like three; and you don't need a new spring.....
This is what you have we think and those two jam nuts you see, are the key to weight of pull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
timney contacted me and sent a RA # at my request.also said their trigger assemblies are designed for the bodies to be drilled out to accomadate larger pins. i told em would of been good to send some instructions as there are ZERO instructions that come, but they have plenty of time /room to include their religious messages.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first two spring pictures show the old trigger; the one you have. Only the last picture is for the new, enclosed trigger assembly.
It wouldn't take 20 minutes to adjust yours; more like three; and you don't need a new spring.....
This is what you have we think and those two jam nuts you see, are the key to weight of pull.

thats exactly what it looks like EXCEPT on mine the two jam nuts are about 1/4" (or so) apart and the bottom nut is screwed much higher towards em

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Someone has been "working" with it; a euphemism for other words in my head for that guy, or girl, that aren't allowed here.
It can easily be brought back to what you want; a good trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone has been "working" with it; a euphemism for other words in my head for that guy, or girl, that aren't allowed here.
It can easily be brought back to what you want; a good trigger.

when time allows i am going to make it look like the pic of the trigger you posted and go from there. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
found my feather river brand(?) trigger gage. was over 91/2 lbs. its now 2.5 with no creep.
175 gr no name sp from midway grouped 1" at 125 yds 5 shots in under a minute. 60 grs H4831sc (?). not in shop to look up load. had limited time so rushed everything after got itgoing. thanks for help. timney returned for refund

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good job!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Someone is thinking you have a later Model 70 with the new trigger. You don't. Any competent gunsmith could turn your original trigger into a creep-free, 2 1/2 to 3 lb trigger in 20 minutes but would have to have the whole barreled action to do so. Regards, Bill.

you are correct sir, and the very first sentence in OP was "i have a mod 70 made in 1969". as usual, i should of asked for advice here before ordering an aftermarket product. you guys helped me turn a club into a fine rifle.