Find
Notify
Tools

Breakdown rifle with a synthetic stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I was wondering which gunsmiths make takedown rifles and has it also been done with a synthetic stock? Can it be done with a MacMillan stock or are some maker's stocks more appropriate than others? I would be interested in having it done on an African caliber like .375 H&H.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With enough time and money ANYTHING is possible! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure either Brown Precision or Ed Brown makes a take down using a syn stock. Check out there web page.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the Sauer 202 and the Blaser R93 qualify, then there are two options right there. Both come with synthetic stocks, and break down with a minumum of fuss - involving (minimal) use of tools.

HS Precision used to do takedown rifles - I don't know if they still do?? However, unlike the Blaser and the Sauer, the HSP rifles relied on screw-in barrels, a system I'm not that crazy about. The chance of the threads either becoming damaged or worn over time and repeated takedown and reassembly seems very real to me.

There may be another couple of European factory rifles with synthetic stocks, which qualify as takedown?? I'm not 100% sure, but the SHR might qualify.

Other than that, most European takedown rifles are typically custom products (Johannsen etc.).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Brown Precision is more a Take the metal from the stock arrangement.

http://www.brownprecision.com/custom-high-country-take-down-rifle.htm

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
H-S Precision makes a true take-down:

http://www.hsprecision.com/new_take_down.htm

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My answer to this same question , was to use a pillar bedded action and hex head action bolts. The barrelled action 'comes out' of the stock.

This makes an affordable take down rifle and I do not have to worry about screw thread stretching, cross threading etc. I also hope to obtain more consistent p.o.i. between re-assemblies.

My rifles are on MacMillan synthetic stocks and the wood stock is a AcraBond / Serengetti walnut laminate.

Of all the 'true' take down systems I have seen, pictures or in the metal as it were, I like the Holland and Holland and the Charles Newton methods the best. With these systems, the barrelled action comes out of the stock.

Heym's SR21 has an interesting take down system too. Not sure if they do a synthetic stock though. Chapuis has an unusual modular rifle which looks like a candidate for the take down system like the Sauer 200/202 series rifles. I think it is called the "Aurial". This has a wooden stock though.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Like Rick 0311 stated, with $$$ almost anyththing is possible.
Do you require CRF for your t/d .375H*H? if so the easiest option I can think of would be to get a Dakota76 Traveller then have a custom Synthetic fitted. I also have considered a t/d synthetic,but in more recent times have been swinging toward the idea of a Laminate stock instead.
I have seen the HSPrec. takedowns...idont like the quality. If you ever get achance to see and feel t/d work by Ralf Martini from the Hagn shop, you will see why top notch work costs $$$.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the great information. Robthom, do you know if anyone makes hex head receiver screws for the CZ 550 Magnum? I would like to try your method with mine. I assume I can get the hex head receiver screws for my Winchester model 70's. If anyone knows where they can be found it might save me the search. Thanks again.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Win M70s and a W.F. Hein, which is essentially a Win M70, on the way. These all have the hex head receiver screws fitted.

I do not know if CZ 550 Magnum hex head receiver screws are available. I will ask tommorrow when I go to the range. I would guess yes, you can find them, but probably from a mechanical engineering solution or a building trade supplier and adapt them.

All you would need is the correct diameter and screw pitch. If they are too long, they can be carefully cut to the required length. The Czechs would be using metric screws, us English might be using either and I would guess the Americans use imperial - "inches".

I agree with the poster who wrote I am going over to wood laminate stocks now. They 'feel' better in cold wet conditions. A bit like when you first get into a swimming pool - ouch, it feels cold!

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote