New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Checkering Tool
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an older MMC Power Checkering Head. It probably could use new grease packed in the gears.

Does anyone have instructions or a schematic on the tool so I can access the geared head for cleaning and lubricating?

Any recomendations on type of grease to use. I have some of the original stuff but I question using it since it is at least 30 years old.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman,

Chuck up the upper half in a 3 jaw lathe chuck with paper to keep from slipping and unscrew the piece. I took mine apart several years ago and I don;t remember all details, but it wasn't too hard to do. If the head is getting very warm when checkering it can be the bearings are dry. I was checking a stock and it froze up. The flex shaft broke into in side the upper section. It put a scratch in the stock from the sudden stop. I did return mine to MMC at the time and they replaced the bearings. The bearings had rusted up and froze. I bought it new and it never had been apart until that time. The bearings are a sealed unit and I don't think you can grease them. It may be possible to find these miniture bearings if you look online. I don't remember a number on the bearings.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best to have MMC do re build... MMC 5050 E Belknap St., Ft Worth, TX 76117 817 831 9557

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane

I was looking through an old book of mine, Custom Guns by Ken Warner. I spotted you in a picture of an NRA meeting of custom gun makers at the Oakley & Merkley booth. You looked pretty frisky back then. Big Grin

How can I be that lucky, Fort Worth is about 100 miles from me.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Les

I'm the guy who bought your Charles Daly 28 guage O&U at the Shilen swap meet a couple of years back. I still have it.

Thanks for the info, I'm not having any issues yet but it is getting pretty old and I thought it might be time to repack the grease around the planetary gears.

Craftsman

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you just want to regrease the gears you can do this pretty easy. Mine had bad bearings and froze up. I should have noticed that I had a problem because the unit was getting hot after chechering for awhile. How the bearings got rusty is something that I cannot explain. I bought the unit new in 1968.

Good to hear from you,
Les

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to call MMC? The last I heard was Rob Sconce had gone to work in the oil field and had stopped the MMC tool manuf. Hope he is still working on the tools because I need to contact him. I owe him some money for a tool. His dad made the tool a way back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help fellows.

I'll check to see if MMC is still in business, I noticed Brownells catalogues them but they are called M-2.

What happened to Doiron? I noticed Brownells was not carrying them anymore.

Craftsman