New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have narrowed my search for a Mannlicher stock down to Richard's Microfit and Boyd's (at least Boyd's said they could do one). Anybody have any pros or cons for either of these companies.

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, boyd's customer service leaves MUCH to be desired. I had trouble getting a garand stock set; I cannot begin to imagine what could happen in something more complicated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVBlue:
I have narrowed my search for a Mannlicher stock down to Richard's Microfit and Boyd's (at least Boyd's said they could do one). Anybody have any pros or cons for either of these companies.

I have no experience with Microfit (even though I live about 15 minutes from their shop) but I have not had good experience with Boyd’s on the two occasions I used them.

One involved very loose and sloppy inletting on an M1A stock and the other involved a chunk of wood as big as my thumb flaked off of the toe area on a Remington 870 buttstock...under the plastic butt plate that they put on it for shipping. How the guy that screwed on the butt plate missed seeing it is beyond me. There was literally a half inch gap between the toe of the plate and the toe of the stock.

They replaced the stocks in both instances but it took numerous phone calls, being placed on hold for very long periods of time, and a month or so to get it done.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no experience with boyds, but microfit did OK by me a couple of times

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who own Boyd's? I ordered a finished stock and they sent one with no bolt cut-out and no cut-out for the bolt stop/release. Also, the action holes were misaligned in the stock and the tang was not floated like most factory Savages are. When I called them about it, it was mainly tough sh*t. I sent an email to them a couple of days ago with the attn. of the owner, but have received no response. By the way, there was no offer to replace the stock.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote