Find
Notify
Tools

Any vintage Mausers with tang safety?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted
Does anybody know if any of the best-gun delivers ever made any mausers with tang-safeties? Any pictures?
Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few in my lifetime but not very many. I would like to see pictures too. Thanks...Bill.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The Voere had one. I had one at one but it belongs to someone else now. I'll be home around lunch time. If I can find a picture I'll post it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know when they started, but Rigby built a number with top tang safeties after the war.

Ken Waters had one that Rigby built as a presentation rifle for Warren Page. I think the action started life as a BRNO 21. Double set triggers, butterknife bolt, and top tang safety in 7X61 S&H. He wrote an article about it with photos in Rifle or maybe Handloader magazine in the early '90s. I've seen several other Rigby's with top tang safeties. I narrowly missed one a few years ago built on a 98 with claw mounts.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are photos of tang safety mausers in "Contemporary American Stockmakers by Ron Toews" including gunmakers Biesen, Brownell, Fisher etc. I don't have the ability to post photos, maybe someone else has this book who can. Sorry
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen nice Guild rifles with tang safeties. THey were all from between the wars and were not on the basic rifles. I will dig around and see if I have any pics. I think soemone sells tang safetites-maybe Golmatic?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
If you take a look at EGun.de you will see the odd one on that site occasionally

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't find any on my pics with stocked rifles, but here are the few I have on tang safeties on actions. If that helps.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1930s G&H on a military action with a tang safety. Never had it out of the stock.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones I have seem had tang extensions welded on, but I could not find and pcitures of them. Sorry about that.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
This one appears to have both a tang and wing safety.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=99335108

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vigi-

any chance we could see some pics of your G&H?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc, I can't use a digital camera. I'm suffiently impressed with my ability to use a computer to post on these forums ....

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote