THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice on bedding synthetic stock...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone...I tied to free float my Bell + Carlson Medalist stock on my .338-06 and have managed to screw things up.

I took out the pressure point at the forend to completely free float the barrel and now my group size with know good bullet/powder combo went right down the toilet...went from 1 inch or better to about 4.

So...what to do?

A) replace pressure point with a couple of shims to see if accuracy returns...then rebuild with glass?

B) Completely remove pressure point and bed action around recoil lug and forward for full free float?

C) Any other suggestions?

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kreyten:
Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone...I tied to free float my Bell + Carlson Medalist stock on my .338-06 and have managed to screw things up.

I took out the pressure point at the forend to completely free float the barrel and now my group size with know good bullet/powder combo went right down the toilet...went from 1 inch or better to about 4.

So...what to do?

A) replace pressure point with a couple of shims to see if accuracy returns...then rebuild with glass?

B) Completely remove pressure point and bed action around recoil lug and forward for full free float?

C) Any other suggestions?

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Outside of the bedding I thought you already did "B". You're there now. Leave it floated and work up a new load and see what happens. You can always go back if that doesn't work out.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the rifle/stock sit now...I can work a piece of paper under the forend and down the stock...takes a little tugging...but it will go. Is that "free floated" enough? Hence my comment about taking the pressure point down even further.

New loads are a possibility. Thanks.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you have to tug on the paper to get it to go then you are probably experiencing barrel slap. That can explain the 4" groups. You need enough clearance so that the barrel doesn't slap or make contact with the forend as it whips about. To check for this, I whack the bottom of the forend with my palm and listen for contact with the barrel.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Westpac...will check out the barrel slap..that sounds like that is what I have going on.