New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini Mauser Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the mini Mauser just a SA 98? I know the barrel threads are the same. Will an aftermarket 98 trigger work on the mini?

Bobby

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Posts: 92 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 22 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the mini Mauser just a SA 98

If you are talking about the MKX mini later the Daly and Rem 799 I don't know if the trigger will work but the action sure isn't a SA M98. If my memory is working it isn't even a CRF. Are you sure the threads are the same?
""Interarms' Mark X Mini-Mauser actions have a 22 x 1.5 mm thread, approximately .866" x 16.75 t.p.i. ""

""The Mauser 98 barrel thread dimensions are given, even on German sites, as 1.1 x 12 in inches.""

I pulled these of the net I'm too lazy to go dig out my book

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Aftermarket M98 triggers do fit the mini Mauser. A 3 - position safety doesn't fit but I know this one gunsmith (James Anderson) who can make happen.

I seriously doubt the barrel threads are the same.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin Weaver of www.weaverrifles.com would know, buying a Chas. Daly mini-mauser in 17 PPC that Weaver did.........r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some info I found.

It's based on a short action of modified Mauser type.
It does not use a true Mauser 98 action, does not have a Mauser pattern full-length extractor, and is not a controlled feed design. Instead, it uses a Weatherby type claw extractor built into the front of the bolt, and a recessed bolt face.

I can't find the site that was talking about the barrel thread, thought I added to my favorites before turning off the computer. I'm willing to bet now, they were talking about the Interarms Mk X standard length action.

And thanks for the help everybody.

Bobby

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Posts: 92 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 22 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually that is a Mauser type extractor...which he designed well before the 98 CRF...just shows not much is new.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mini Mark X (made by Zastava and imported by Interarms, succeeded by Charles Daly, succeded by Remington at the Rem 799) will accept a standard Mauser 98 trigger. I utilized a Sako trigger on mine and it fit, except for the safety lever which I removed, perfectly. If you wish to utilize the Sako safety, a little wood has to be removed from the stock. A Timney or similar might fit with the safety without stock modification, but I'm not certain.

I doubt the barrel shank being the same diameter as the much larger '98 Mauser or Interarms Mark X.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A three position safety will work on the Mini-Mauser. It has the same shroud threading as the 98.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jim olinger:
A three position safety will work on the Mini-Mauser. It has the same shroud threading as the 98.

But not the same shank length. You can't just screw it on and time it like you can with a regular M98. It's a lot of extra work. I think another thread needs to be cut and I know a sleeve needs to be machined and installed behind the cocking piece. It's a fabrication job, not just an install.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TC1: That's true TC1, and I didn't mean to imply it was a parts changing job. Even fitting a 98 requires some modification.