New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Klinton Lock
 Login/Join

<RonsGuns>
posted
I want to remove the infamous Klinton Lock on a Model 700. Will this be a simple matter of removal of the cylinder for the key and replacing the shroud, or will it require an entire bolt change?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swap the bolt shroud & you're done.

That J-lock causes a little extra expense, but no permanent damage. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I hate Kilnton, he had nothing to do with the J-lock. That's all Remington's doing. While they look stupid, I see no problem at all with them. Don't like it? Lock it open and put away the key.

If you must raise your blood pressure over a triviality, Brownells sells replacement bolt shrouds without the lock.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Can or does the J-Lock get into the locked position without shooter action? In other words, does it lock open and stay there?

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron,
Although I am not 'smith. If U decide to strip the bolt U will find a firing pin spring that looks like a "Snake".
I don't c how this can do any good 4 the consistancy of the firing pin.
I replaced the whole assembly with 1 from Brownells. Darrel Holland also make 1.

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
Can or does the J-Lock get into the locked position without shooter action? In other words, does it lock open and stay there?

jim dodd

No. The J-lock requires positive action from the shooter to both lock and unlock. Same as every single other built-in firearm lock that I'm aware of.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<RonsGuns>
posted
quote:
If you must raise your blood pressure over a triviality, Brownells sells replacement bolt shrouds without the lock.
No raised blood pressure here, but it does detract from the clean lines somewhat, I would say it's more like having a small sliver of metal in one of your fingers that you can't see to remove yet it let's you know it's still there on occasion. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
In other words, does it lock open and stay there?

Yes, and that's what 99% of the shooters do. "Unlock" it, then lose the key, as they have no further use for it. Once "unlocked", it will stay that way unless you decide to "re-lock" it, using the key.

<Lightnin>
posted
Greg Tannel of Gre-Tan rifles sells a replacement part. Jim