THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    LOP change with age? Leather recoil pad related question.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOP change with age? Leather recoil pad related question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
With the normal changes in eyesight as one gets older has anyone had to decrease their LOP?

I don't wear glasses and don't really "need" or use cheaters though they help. I've noticed this year I'm having a helluva time getting a good sight picture in my scope and have to really make an effort to focus and at times have had to close my left eye to get a good picture.

Having grown up shooting my dad's guns I've always felt more comfortable with a longer LOP (14.25" and have "shortened" it to 13 1/5" for winter/heavy clothing guns) but this now is causing a serious problem because of the lack of focus. I find I have to make an effort to mount the gun(s)- "climbing onto the stock" if you will ie it doesn't come up naturally.

The gd leather recoil pad is no help as it is slicker-n-shit and wants to slip down as I "climb aboard." This also compounds the problem in that now I have to pull the gun into my shoulder with my right hand, which used to just rest on the grip- pulled a couple of shots.

I know I've already answered my own questions, but has this happened to anyone else.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
First thing is yes your length of pull can change over time but typically it to the longer side not shorter. Due to muscle density degrading. In layman's terms you don't have as much meat on your bones but your bones stay the same length relatively speaking.

Your problem is more related to eye sight and the ocular lens. I'd try to refocus the ocular and that should solve your problem.
You may need to reset your eye relief as well.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a shot gun whilst the LOP will pretty much remain the same (the LOP from my 1990's fitting by Holland and Holland is IDENTICAL to that at their fitting for me in 2004) your cast will change.

Simply you get fatter and so require more cast as middle age comes on. Not by much, mine is about 1/2" more at the heel and 1/4" more at the toe.

I suppose, in theory, as you then get into old age and lose weight then you might need less cast as you more "skin and bone" than "skin, muscle, fat and bone"?

And possibly more on the length? But ALSO modern high performance clothing has done away with the bulky winter wool based coats of old...so that may be a factor too?

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote