Notify
Tools

Stock maker recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tim_Ryan
posted
Hi all,

I am looking for a recommendation for a stock maker. I have a Winchester 52 sporter that I need a stock made for. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

"I want to see you shoot the way you shout"

TR (the original)

Posts: 103 | Location: WA | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Hi, Tim.

It would help if you indicated a budget so we know a general direction in which to send you. Are you thinking $1,000, $4,000, or somewhere in the middle?

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tim_Ryan
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I am thinking in the 1000 to 1500 range.

Thanks,
Tim

TR (the original)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
I think you will have to get in the $2500+ range for labor only to get into a decent stock.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One excellent local non-Guild stockmaker I know used to charge $1500 labor as a base, the Guild guys are considerably higher. Add for extras like tang reshaping, unusual forend tip treatments, fancy checkering, skeleton fittings, etc. BTW this fellow has almost quit stockmaking 'cause he can make a LOT more by doing metalwork.

IMO a base of $2500 would be a bit more realistic for labor for a 52 sporter custom stock. Add for the extensive metalwork usually wanted on a 52 custom plus the wood cost plus the fittings cost and you're WAAAAAYYY over the $1500 you're hoping for.

IIWY I'd look for a person just starting out, with maybe 2-5 years' stockmaking experience but no big rep yet. Prices should be lower and delivery time a little quicker but of course the quality may not be there either. You pays your money and you takes your choice but I'd bet that you won't get very much for $1500 unless you're mighty lucky.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The nicest mod 52 that I have seen was done by John Maxson in Ohio. I have John's contact if you like. I do not know his rates.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn't trust a M-52 sporter to an amateur.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1825 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing as how he just posted, I will give a plug for SDH's book called Custom Rifles in Black and White. If you want to get some ideas on how a Custom Model 52 might look, get ahold of a copy of the book and study the photos contained therein of a few custom 52's. Then go from there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sterling Davenport in Tuscon, AZ. His telephone number is 520-749-5590.

Sterling is one of the very best and a good guy.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tim_Ryan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will track down SDH's book and save some more $ while I study it :-).

Thanks,
Tim

TR (the original)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very wise decision.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My own favourite stock maker who is still alive is Jerry Fisher of Kalispell, Montana. But $2,500 won't even get you started there, if he is still doing any work at all.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand Jerry is doing a little.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry is working regularly and I can say from personal experience, the quality of his work has not diminished one iota; but he is slower is what he tells me.
We were to deer hunt together again this year but a family issue took him away after the first day.
Jerry turns 80 in 2010! And is probably in better condition than I am.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1825 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote