Find
Notify
Tools

Did I make a mistake?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I know, should have asked the question prior to proceeding, but didn't. I asked a friend to turn my Lott barrel down so I could fit a Recknagel ring base for an express sight.
The rear of the ring base ended up 2.610" in front of the receiver ring, just forward of and beyond the chamber. With this machining completed the barrel diameter ended at .980". This, minus the .458" bore diameter and divided by 2, leaves walls of .261". Am I in trouble with this barrel wall thickness? The ring base is 2.555" long and will be soldered on thus making the barrel roughly .040" thicker by adding the ring thickness. I realize this is not much strength, but all helps, eh? I tried all combinations of Recknagel ring bases and this was the only way to make this sight combination/recoil lug work.

Many thanks for your perusal and answers. Let me know if clarification is necessary.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO you'll have no problems at all (except the sight's too close, grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
What type of solder are you going to use?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
What type of solder are you going to use?

Brownells Force 44 if you all think that is satisfactory.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Regards, Joe

I've got a short neck.
Thanks,

Stephen

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
It is not the neck, it is those eyes that get real farsighted as the PH ages. Rear sight is just a fuzzy blur.

This be why 'ol Bwannas use ghost rings.

I have seen more than one stump kicker with a couple of plugged screw holes between the rear sight island and the receiver ring 'cause the rear sight was moved forward.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter,

The short neck comment was in jest. So far I am still good with iron sights, but I understand your point. A couple of years ago my cataracts finally matured and my opthalamologist agreed I was a candidate for lens replacement. Fantastic. A couple of days later I visited the Department of Licensing and had the "glasses required" provision removed from my drivers license. I need research the "ghost ring" sights. They are a version of a peep, eh? What supplier do you recommend for a ghost ring? Rifle is a Mark X Lott.

Luck,

Stephen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Regards, Joe

Joe,

Thanks for your answer. For some reason I felt you would reapond and I was correct.

Stephen