New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 70 safety problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i'm stocking a model 70 in the process of cutting-fitting the bolt notch had the safety in the middle position while raising and lowering the bolt a lot. now it doesn't want to go on safe from the fire position. I had previously replaced the trigger adjustment screw but haven't tried to fine tune it . do you think the sear engagement is messed up. you can bump the safety with rubber mallet and will go on and ocasionally will work like its supposed to. Any ideas?

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, I would make sure the bolt handle is all the way down; it should not be hitting the stock anywhere, it should float in the notch. Fit the bolt handle with the safety/firing pin assembly out of the bolt. If that is OK, the next thing would be the camming surface on the cocking piece. Be careful here, you don't wnat to take too much off of the cocking piece where the safety lever cams it back.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks jim , it will do it with action out of the stock , I checked this way to eliminate stock, thought I might have sear set to deep when I replaced trigger adjusting screw. I'll work on that when I finish the stock. Just curious that no problem until i started raising and lowering bolt with safety in middle position while inletting the bolt handle. Thanks for the reply

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.