New
Find
Notify
Tools

FFL question
 Login/Join

<Ricochet>
posted
What type of FFL is needed to work on guns? Is there a web site or book that would help? Thanks

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you are working on your own gun's, none. If you do not work on the actual action of a gun, none. I know a smith who only works on t/c contender and encore barrels, so isn't required to have an FFL, as he never touches the customers action.

If you want to be a commercial gunsmith, it is the same one as used to sell guns, as I recall. Call your local BATF to get the paperwork. As I recall it is now $200 for 3 years. I considered doing part time smithing work, but considering the FFL issue, as well as liability insurance, et al, I abondoned that plan.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FFL rules are a bit more complicated, if you retain a cutomer's rifle ovenight, then you must have a FFL and a logging system to track the firearms. Plus many states and cites have additional laws & rules. Call the nearest BATF office, or go online, and request a copy of the FFL rules.

And, yes, keeping your friend's rifle overnight, or uncle Joe's shotgun, falls under the rules of requiring a FFL and a logging system.

Plus you will need a Business License, and any and all local pemits.

Then you have the FBI and the background check system.

Gets complicated.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

My Warden sometimes allows me to respond to email. NEW Address is rifles@earthlink.net

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
There is a "gunsmithing" FFL as opposed to a "transfer" FFL. Transfer FFLs are rquired to sell or "transfer" firearms.

But check ATF and then check again

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<Paladin>
posted
All of the above are correct. Let me add however that due to a late 1968 case which went to the U.S. Supreme Court, when one obtains a Federal gun dealer/gunsmith license, one gives up ones right to a search warrant. If the business premises is ones home, this is a very significant loss of ones civil rights.

I have been a gun dealer/gunsmith licensee since 1959 and continue to be concerned and distressed at this established point of law. I have not experienced abuse as yet, but obviously will continue to be vulnerable to that possibility.

Paladin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike are you sure about that? I know when I renewed last they were thinking of creating one. I would imagine since I renewed I ended up with the original one. I may be answering my own question. Rambling on does have it own rewards at times.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote