New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on softening Mauser bolt handle stub
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need a double check on my thinking. I bought a new Mauser bolt from Sarco, cut the handle off amid a shower of sparks and TIG welded a new handle on. I let it air cool after welding. Normally this leaves the stub soft enough to file. In this case the files skip off the surface of the bolt stub in the weld. I'm thinking I need to anneal it with a torch and sand treatment and finish the shaping/polishing, then harden the cocking cam notch. Make sense? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is what I would do. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yep

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try knocking the top off the hard spot with a grinder, it's usually not very deep, then you should be right to file.
You often get it where you finish the weld.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful, the primary extraction cam is on the bolt root. If you soften it you will have to re-harden or risk galling.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I'm the same as you dpcd. I have the belt sander from hell and a I have a drawer with about 200 carbide end mills in it. Nothing much in the way of steel argues with carbide.

But on the subject of annealing. Most of the gun plumbers and jewelers I know have been using silicon micro balloons to anneal with for the last, god knows how many years. I have been using them for 20 years for sure.

Micro balloons works very much the same as using sand to hold the heat except the micro balloons transfer the heat away much more slowly than sand does which gives a better, more uniform anneal for those who lack a heat treating furnace to do it properly. Micro balloons are actually mostly air and as anyone in the window industry knows, trapped air is actually one of the poorest thermal conductors around. Be careful pulling the parts out of the balloons. Even after a half an hour, larger parts will still be hot enough to burn you and smaller parts will be uncomfortable to the touch. 20 minutes to 1/2 hour is usually long enough to allow the part to become thoroughly softened.

Here's a video of it but lets face it, annealing is not really a show me sort of thing required. Heat, plunge, wait then rework part as required. It is sort of fun watching the micro balloons boil for a half hour. Wink

ADD NOTE: Plunge the part deep enough into the bucket of powder so that the micro balloons don't boil to the surface. That way an insulating cocoon of dry micro balloons will form around the part. You can NEVER get all of the moisture out of micro balloons. Even if you cook them in the oven there will still be moisture in them and as they cool they will suck moisture back in until they hold the same amount of water as the air around them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOntsvBKvKk

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well, I learned something today.

Posts: 17277 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
OK, I guess I was the 27th person to watch the video. Actually, it was interesting. Better than watching cute kitten videos or the other tripe on the internet. What were you annealing the screw for?

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a video of it but lets face it, annealing is not really a show me sort of thing required. Heat, plunge, wait then rework part as required.

You didn't read the disclaimer above. You were warned ! Annealing is only SLIGHTLY more interesting than watching frolicking kitten videos.

When you anneal screws the teeth don't break off the dies when you extend the threads.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Well, I learned something today.

You aren't alone. Neat stuff!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - I had to touch up a few small places in the weld and let it air cool. Now the stub is as soft as the handle. Strange. I guess I inadvertently tempered it.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Just like watching grass grow...Wink.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote