New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel bolt mod question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rem 788 in 243 that I don't use much. I was thinking of rebarreling it in 257R. How big a deal is this? I was concerned about the expense of any bolt face/extractor mods that would be required.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a new barrel and someone to do the fitting.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The BIG ISSUE, is the feeding, since you have a determined inside length and positon of the shoulder indents in the Remington 788 magazine.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i did one of these once for a client from a 308. i believe he went out and got a magazine that was designed for the 6 rem. it had no extraction or ejection issue from the start or feeding issues with the supplied magazine.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rebarrel and then find a mag from a 6mm 788, it should feed no problem. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magazines for the 788 in 6mm may be a little on the pricey side if they can be found. I'd check it out before hand. Another option may be chambering it in 25 Souper (25-308), or 250 savage improved, if you wanted to stay with a quarter bore. Good luck. Paul.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These 788's seem to have a cult following. You might come out ahead selling the gun and buying a 257 Roberts or having one made up on a Mauser action.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Original 788 magazines in 6 mm Rem used to bring about $75.00 However Brownell advertises some new after market 788 magazines at reasonable prices.

Another consideration is the 243 length action/magazine will not allow you to seat heavier bullets out very far and will limit performance to some degree.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider is that these two cartridges are virtual twins ballistically. Lots more bullet choice in .243, with only .014" difference in diameter and the .243 has a little BC edge, this conversion doesn't make any sense to me. That being said, I fall back to an old saying "real Americans buy what they want". This from a guy who hunts primarily with a .25/284.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote