Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Vice bushing advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G'Day Fella's,

This is a bit of a Dumb Question but better to ask this than to make a Dumb Mistake....

I need to remove the original factory barrel from a Remington Model 7.
I've made an action wrench with inserts to suit the Rem action and a barrel vice that takes Brownell's inserts and I have one of these Brownell's inserts, to suit a Remington std weight barrel.
Can I use this insert on the smaller diameter Rem M7 barrel?

Looking forward to any advice on this!

Regards
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On barrels that may need another .010" or even a bit more, I use a wrap or two of drywall tape coated in rosin around the barrel. When torqued down well I haven't had any problems taking most any factory barrel off. Always try and clamp as close to the receiver as possible.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Vise.
I make blocks out of hard maple; coat the inside with powdered rosin. Rems aren't on very tight, usually, anyway. I don't use no factory inserts as I take off and install too many barrels for a one size fits all thing, and wood ones are free.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a gunsmith in Germany who has a barrel vice. Keeps all the take-off barrels from decades of sporterizing projects - there must be hundreds all over his shop!

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have the same vice; I have never thrown away a barrel for the past 50 years and I still have over 100; they make good tent stakes and turning stock. I fixed one of my wife's clothes racks with some once, using them for inside reinforcement. I have used them for reinforcing concrete. I use an old Krag barrel as a pry bar in my automotive restorations. I gave up some of my other vices like drinking and chasing women.....well, I might have cut back on them a bit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, you win the spelling bee!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What about me; I pointed it out first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Homer's vice IS barrels.
I have a friend who does concrete work. He poured 2 slabs for a smith down south somewhere. Large slabs. He didn't use rebar, just take off barrels.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, a spell off isnicissiry!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

Thank you all for your reply's, very much appreciated!

As to my poor spelling!
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I didn't even think about the spelling of VISE!
Actually, I was just checking and testing, to see if you were all wide awake! Nah, just kidding!

Best regards
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Duane, you win the spelling bee!

I bet he got a real buzz from that or maybe thought it was a real honey Big Grin

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote