THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper contact for Mauser action wrench?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK Guys,

Where is the "proper" contact point for the bottom of the action wrench on a large ring Mauser? Is it on the bottom of the rails or across the bottom of the recoil lug?

If on the bottom of the recoil lug, is it permissible to put a steel shim under the rails?

(As one might guess ... I made the bottom of the wrench to seat against the bottom of the recoil lug. Yes, I did provide a relief for the screw protrusion. Question basically is "How bad did I screw up?")

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Ideally you want to place the wrench directly over, or, as close to the threads as possible to reduce any chance of tweaking an action. For Mauser and Winchester type actions, contact across the bottom flat and against the lug is both proper and fine.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
bottom of the rails with a relief cut in the face to swallow the recoil lug and move the top out so it spans the front ring.

the action wrench is upside down. The lug fits into the pocket outlined in dykem, with room to spare all round.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made mine it fit the bottom of the receiver and made a clearance cut for the recoil lug. My bench isn't as clean as Rusty's though.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that barrel bushing for an "86" or am I to read it upside down which would make it for a "98"??? dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Put an action into the wrench and checked it for closure ... the flat behind the recoil lug is where the wrench is tightening against.

The space under the recoil lug is just much smaller than those built by others. Will have to watch it with other actions.

So ... I used the wrench/vise combination to remove a barrel from an action ... and it worked just fine! As it was a commercially barreled action it didn't even take a huge amount of force for remove.

I am tickled!

Now I can get on with the whole learning process of surface finishing actions and barrels. Going to Gun Kote one and rust blue another ... will test this weather hardiness thing myself.

Thanks Guys for answering all of the stupid questions on this part! (Now you'll get stupid questions on something else Wink )

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind, if the bottom of the wrench is machined to surround the lug without providing any support, then ideally, the clamping force need to be centered over that portion of the wrench that is in contact to reduce the risk of distorting the receiver.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Is that barrel bushing for an "86" or am I to read it upside down which would make it for a "98"??? dancing

Amazing Malm asked the same thing last time I posted that pic. Is this better?
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote