New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ24's, should I be picking them up??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well guys, not that I need any more parts around, I am curious though, I was in the Big 5 by my house two days ago and they had a nice VZ24 on the rack, 99 bucks, but the guy said that they have them on sale for 69 sometimes and he gets them in that condition every couple of weeks. It had no pitting that I could notice above the woodline. I know that usually that store will give me the sale price on things even if they aren't currently on sale. (I picked up a 2 mantle coleman lantern that night with case for 29, their sale price from a couple weeks before).

Should I get a couple of these when I see them in real good shape? I dont' need them now but in the future maybe they will become more scarce. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
One can never have too many Mauser actions. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I beleive that VZ24s are the best buy for me and re barrelling.

I get them at Big5 on sale, usually $69 + $5 WA state sales tax = $76 out the door.

Dealing with AIM is always a pleasure, and they have VZ24s right now with lots of fresh hot blue all over
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czech_VZ24_8mm_Mauser_Package.html

Century [the importer] also sells VZ24s:

Very Good + $89.87 Good + $79.87 Good with Cracked Stock + $69.87

https://www.centuryarms.com/store.htm

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those vz 24's a few months back had a great action and the blueing was in excellant shape. only problem was the bore was a sewer pipe that would not come clean at all nothing would do it. It patterened rather than grouped at the range and the sights only go down to 300 meters If i am not mistaken. I thought of making a sporter out of it but after a rebarrel, new trigger, saftey, drill and tap, and new stock it would run me quite a bit more than a new rifle. I think if one was able to do there own work on these you could get into one and be in good shape. from what i have heard most all vz24's have sewer pipe bores and you better plan on replacing the barrel on them. The 98/22's from what I hear have better bores and the same action i believe although the barrel is like 29 inches. Also the crest is scrubbed on many of these some times if the scrubbing is severe enough this can mess up scope mounting. stupid Kommies messing up a good rifle. If possible remove the stock and check for pitting on the underside of the action.

[ 08-07-2003, 02:38: Message edited by: cummins cowboy ]

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
One can never have too many Mauser actions. [Big Grin]

Amen [Big Grin]

The more mauser you have the better you feel [Smile]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutly not! Leave 'em for me....

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
I've built 3 rifles on these actions to date. I believe them to be quite well made and good actions in which to make into sporters.
BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anybody post a picture of one with the banners/markings that should be on one. the one I saw had nothing on the front ring which seemed unusual to me but I have not seen one before so don't know for sure how it is supposed to look.

Thanks all.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what country it was made for and when it was made. Some have lion crest on the front receiver ring. Some will have writing:

(CESKOSLOVENSKA)
ZBROJOVKA
BRNO

Look on the left side of the action for more of the same type of writing and it should also have VZ24 on the same side.

The VZ 24 short rifle was used by several countries in WWII and other smaller, earlier wars. The chinese army was equiped with them, marked "1937" on the receiver ring and having a "p" serial number prefix. Many of these were captured by the Japanese and they equiped 5 divisions with these captured weapons. The Romanians standardized them in the 1930's and used them on the Russian front. Yugoslavia bought some and then copied them. Used by the partisans in the mountains of Serbia, Bosnia, and Croatia. Bolivia equiped their armies in the Gran Chaco war of 1932-1935 against paraguayan forces during the battles for the Chaco. Most of these were captured and used against the Bolivians. Brazil, Columbia, Guatemala, Peru, and venezuela also used them. Lithuania also used them. Many to be captured by the Germans and then by the Russians, who later supplied them from storage to the Viet Cong, from whom they were later captured by the French (the french captured something?) and the Americans!

I hope that helps.

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote