New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper pillar bidding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why is it that many of the so called custom guns come to the customer and they are pillar bedded but when examined you find spots where there is stress by something touching like mag box or some other small place that needs to be fixed when if they took five more minutes it would be right. I literally have bought seven or eight well known names and find these small imperfections in bedding andvaftervfixing the guns shoot better and more consistent.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is it that many of the so called custom guns come to the customer and they are pillar bedded

I don't know.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because everybody thinks pillar bedding is one of the greatest things since sliced bread and the "custom gun guys" can sell it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do they do it? 'Cause it works splendidly when it's done properly.

Why don't they do it correctly? 'Cause you need to change 'gunsmiths'. It ain't rocket science.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The pillars only job in life is to prevent the action from being pulled out of alignment when the guard screws are tightened, not to prevent things like magazine boxes from making contact. If a magazine box or anything else is creating interference when the rifle is assembled, then it is the fault of the person assembling the rifle for letting it leave the shop without addressing it. As far as why it happens is something you'll have to ask those who let it happen. The fact that it keeps happening to you might be a sign...

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote