Find
Notify
Tools

Semi-inlet Stock Service Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have some mesquite blanks that I need made into semi-inlet stocks. I know quite a few people do this, but here are the challenges I'm facing:

1. I can't get a hold of my preferred guy
2. I need someone that has an 1917 Enfield pattern (straightened bottom) for two of them. Few people have this pattern.
3. I need someone that has a pattern with toe-out on the butt.

My other option is that I have an Enfield stock now that I could rework externally with Bondo, etc, bed my barreled action to, and then send the pattern to a replicator. Just not confident if I can get the right contours on the toe on the butt.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Eric

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'd love to help but have no Enfield pattern.

Maybe Christrees

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try James Anderson. He is finished with my stock.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
contact Chris, christrees on forum.

He recently acquired 100's of patterns from some companies that have gone out of business; on top of those he already had.

I would be very surprised if he did not have a pattern for this.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mesquite might look nice, but the few blanks I've had a hold of had hidden flaws deep inside and the wood, itself, was splintery and didn't cut well at all. It didn't like a scraper, either. It didn't take me long to swear off of that, for good!

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple screwbean mesquite stocks that were knockdown beautiful. I'm not a stockmaker and cannot comment on stocking problems.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mesquite might look nice, but the few blanks I've had a hold of had hidden flaws deep inside and the wood, itself, was splintery and didn't cut well at all. It didn't like a scraper, either. It didn't take me long to swear off of that, for good!

Don't forget the sand content. They will eat a router bit alive.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

posted Hide Post
Try the Harry Lawson Company in Tucson, AZ.

Posts: 12 | Location: Park City, UT | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yep, the mesquite is an experiment.

I expect to have to fill defects with marine epoxy dyed black.

I have enough blanks for at least 6 stocks, but only need 2; so I'll have them cut until we are successful.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I was in Gunsmithing school Roy Weatherby visited once and he brought a station wagon full of stocks (shaped inleted for Mauser) which he then gave one to each student. I chose a nice mesquite. It had contrasting wood forearm tip and grip cap. Forearm tip was slanted and both had white holly spacers. It really made up into a supernice sporter but the mesquite does eat up the edge on a chisel or gouge. Some of the stocks had the stylized inlays in the side of contrasting wood. Mine were out of what looked to be ebony. The tip and cap were rosewood. The ebony on the dark mesquite was quite attractive in a very subdued way.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Agree with Duane.

Ash Juniper can get nasty stuff in the wood.

I've never had a problem with mesquite other than it's hard.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having said that, research shows that Mesquite is a "high silica" content wood, as well as some exotic woods. Maybe silica is a misnomer for sand

sil·i·ca

[sil-i-kuh]

NOUN
1.the dioxide form of silicon, SiO2, occurring especially as quartz sand, flint, and agate: used usually in the form of its prepared white powder chiefly in the manufacture of glass, water glass, ceramics, and abrasives.

I think most of us are just lazy and call it sand instead of silica.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I sent off about 125 lbs of mesquite and 3 barreled actions to Al Lind today.

When I get them back, I'll post some pics of raw slab to finish. I told Al there is probably enough wood for 7+ stocks, but I'd be happy if we get 1-2 due to the tricky nature of Mesquite.