New
Find
Notify
Tools

52 winchester sporter bedding advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some advice/wisdom on bedding a a 52 c sporter parts gun, and I , have the metal plate and screw guide, I'll probably use Devcon or J/B weld for bedding material. Should I just pillar bed it and leave out the plate which I assumme serves as a recoil lug, I've also thought of turning a pillar to fit through the plate to the receiver, I've also had good luck on center fires pouring the pillars with Devcon or j/b, also should the rear screw be pillared as probably won't be much torque on it, or front for that matter from what I've read.I also read where the factory used rubber pads under the action and barrel on target models. I know it's a sporter but I want to do all I can to make it shoot as good as possible.I plan on bedding action, 2" in front of receiver, and triggerguard.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How accurate is it now, before bedding?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just building the stock no shots fired.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you don't know how it shoots now you have to bed it tight all the way, shooting as you go..so shoot it tight, if it shoots great your good to go, if it doesn't then 3 point bed it touching at the tang, recoil lug, and forend, test this, if that doesn't work free flost the barrel from two inches in front of the front ring and test..If it still doesn't shoot get another barrel..

You do it in the above order for one reason and that is you can take wood out but you cannot put it back so by doing it in this order you wont get in trouble and end up with a gapped up stock..or a gob of glass covering up your mistakes.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
You can also put a piece of shim stock or other hard, flexible material under the front of the action or chamber to lift the barrel off the wood to test it prior to free floating. That way you won't have to reinstall the pressure point if free floating turns out to be a lost issue.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my main question is to install the flat L shaped piece of metal I think is supposed to act as a recoil lug or just bed it without it.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Well, I can't say off hand because I don't have one to play with right now. But I think stock abutment plate probably helps relocate the receiver to the exact same place every time you take it apart and put it together. It seems important enough, because Browning retained it when they remade the gun.

coffee Without having one in front of me, that's my best guess.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply I have since read I believe on rfc where one guy had removed 3 of the L shaped pieces from reproduction guns that had accuracy problems and pillar bedded.