New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action Screws On a Savage LRPV
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Savage Long Range Precision Varminter and I want to adjust the trigger pull. My propblem is, the Savage instruction book shows how to remove the barrelled action from the stock and re-assemble. But the diagrams show only two action screws and the LRPV appears to have 3. I assume the front trigger guard screw is one and another one is positioned under the "chamber". What is the one in between, is that an action screw or is it used for something else and should not be un-done? I'm hesitant to take the action out without knowing precisely what I'm doing. If it is another action screw what sequence should the screws be re-tightened.

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought myself a "Fat Wrench" and took the plunge. The middle screw IS an action screw. Re-assembled the rifle, after adjusting the trigger pull, and tourqued the screws to 65in/ibs as reccomended by HS Precision.
I must say the "Fat Wrench" was easy to adjust and use. Even though it won't get used a hell of a lot I think it may have been a good investment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One nice thing about the LRPV - with the metal bedding block under the action, you shouldn't need to worry about over tightening the middle screw as on a Winchester M-70.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
One nice thing about the LRPV - with the metal bedding block under the action, you shouldn't need to worry about over tightening the middle screw as on a Winchester M-70.

Gidday Sagebrush Burns,

I quite frankly didn't know what to expect when I removed the barrelled action. I was impressed with the metal bedding block.
The Savage instruction book notes the 1st action screw (under the chamber) is to be tightend first and that's what I did. All action screws were torqued to 65 in/lbs.was