New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 M70 stock question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How much of a "drop-in" is it to install a pre-64 M70 barrelled action into a pre-64 M70 stock other than the one it came from the factory in (assuming action lengths are matched)? I am thinking of replacing the stock on one of my pre-64's with another as the one that is on it now has been cut and a pad has been added. I like the pad and the "punch" it takes off of the recoil, but whoever installed it significantly shortened the length of pull and it doesn't fit me quite the way I would like. Anyway, I'm wondering if I can expect a reasonably good fit from another pre-64 stock or if the new (to me) old stock would need some refinements in the inletting.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobvthunter:
How much of a "drop-in" is it to install a pre-64 M70 barrelled action into a pre-64 M70 stock other than the one it came from the factory in (assuming action lengths are matched)? I am thinking of replacing the stock on one of my pre-64's with another as the one that is on it now has been cut and a pad has been added. I like the pad and the "punch" it takes off of the recoil, but whoever installed it significantly shortened the length of pull and it doesn't fit me quite the way I would like. Anyway, I'm wondering if I can expect a reasonably good fit from another pre-64 stock or if the new (to me) old stock would need some refinements in the inletting.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

....I've been thru a bunch of P64-70's and this is still a limited contact with all the variations....BUT the stocks got a little more individual fitting than the precise computer controlled machined ones today and therefore the individual stock was fitted to the individual action according to the needs of that stock and action.....that said they still should be close and a light skim bedding should take care of any problems in the bedding area and the barrel channel might have to be tweaked slightly for the slightly different taper of each barrel.....this is all for a good shooting gun and consistant without walking the shots....just to get it to fit won't/shouldn't be a problem but it might not shoot well without the fitting.....only a try fitting will tell if your action is a good match for the other stock.....it will be worth the effort for a good looking and better fitting stock on a fine old gun.....good luck and good shooting!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience most will interchange right off.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put on a B&C stock on my Pre-64. I ordered it and B&C sent me the wrong stock. I sent it back and got the right one. It was truly drop in fit. I chose to glass bed and float the barrel. All went well and I like is a lot. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Oldmodel70>
posted
bobvthunter.......should fit, unless you are talking a straight tapered barrel, 375 H&H Mag, and putting it into say, a 1960 built 30-06 stock. By the way, if you do this swap, and don't have a use for your old stock, I would buy it from you. My daughter-in-law is a short little lady, but she has her eye on one of my pre-64 .243s for deer hunting. A short pull stock is just what I need for her..........Grant.