New
Find
Notify
Tools

rust blue stainless
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can it be done? Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
As a rule, stainless cannot be satifactorily blued by any normal method. It certainly can't be rust-blued!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be caustic blued, you just have to find the right guy to do it.

Chuck

P.S. I know two guys in Canada that will do it.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And why would you want to blue stainless? You buy stainless because it doesn't rust (as easily). However, if you are going for the blued look with anti-rust properties, I can dig it.
Chuck: Spill the beans, then.

[ 07-06-2003, 19:35: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info!

Rootbeer,
That is exactly what I was going after... to have stainless in a blue finish. Thanks.

[ 07-06-2003, 22:09: Message edited by: Mingbogo ]

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer, my chemical makeup tends to eat chromemoly steel alive. As an example, my dad can handle a blued rifle forever with no adverse effects but all I need to do is pick the thing up once and its going to rust, I can almost guarantee it. So to me stainless steel offers some real advantages in my particular situation.

I do however prefer the look of blued steel and don't care for painted on finishes.

Chuck

P.S. Mingbogo, I believe Robar could blue the rifle for you.

[ 07-06-2003, 23:03: Message edited by: Chuck Nelson ]

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
Dave Gentry, has blued stainless for me, and I like the job he does.

You can reach him at (406)388 - 4867 in Belgrade, MT.

HBH