THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VXII has larger diameter power adjustment ring.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ran into a problem a bit ago and was curious if anyone else has encountered the same problem. I bought a new Matt VXII 2 X 7 Leupold to use on my Model 700 Mt. Rifle. An old Vari X II fit on a one piece Redfield base with plenty of clearance but the power adj. ring on the new model scope touched the base. I then switched to an old 2 piece Leupold base and the old VARI XII power adj. ring cleared the top of the rear base just fine but the new VX II was touching before I got the rear ring tight. All of this was with std. low Leupold rings. I just ordered a new 2 piece Leupold base set. It appears to me in the catalogs and on their website that the new 2 piece bases are very stepped down so they should clear the bigger power adj. ring on the VXII okay. Anybody else run into this problem? Did Leupold make the old bases obsolete in order to sell me a new set?

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the new fad in (big, fat) Euro fast-focus eyepieces, plus oversized "ergonomic" controls, we're going to see lots of problems like these.

Looks like Leupold had to change the bases to match the new scopes, something they couldn't have anticipated when they copied the Redfield turn-in design decades ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use only Leupold bases for just that reason.Redfields just don't work with Leupold varible scopes.

I even take Weaver bases, and file of the back half so I have enough clearance.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I found an old 2 piece Redfiled base that I had done the same thing with years ago. I used it with a Pilkington Device. Trouble is when you take the scope off too many times the front base dovetail gets wallowed out enough that you can feel it move side to side. I thought about trying that filing business with a set of good steel Warne Weaver type bases but they are Matt finish and I just couldn't see messing them up. Think I'll save em for a good fixed power scope mount. I did file the back end of a Redfield one piece base but there was still a really close tolerance and it just didn't look right.I guess because I KNEW it had been messed with
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just installed a new set of Leupold 2 piece bases. They are complete;y compatable with the XVII and low rings. Now it's a nice looking rig.

Rich Elliott