New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all - I have a new Win 70 featherweight in 7mm-08 that I have a question about. When the round comes up out of the magazine it doesnt fully pop up under the extractor and onto the bolt face. It only fully goes up when the round goes into the chamber which forces it up under the extractor. Its not a big problem as feeding never fails - it is gripped by the extractor just not completely if you know what I mean. My problem is that that final push (sometimes a bit of shove) into the chamber that gets the round seated properly under the extractor can be quite noisy to do - making attempting to put a round up the spout as quietly as possible pointless. In my other CFR (A Swedish M96 Mauser)the round pops up fully under the extractor.

My question is - is this normal for the M70 or should the feeding be effortless (smooth) all the way. If not how is it fixed - new extractor or a modification of the original.

Cheers.....

Posts: 41 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m certainly no expert on model 70’s or Mausers, but I have several 1903’s and 1917 Enfields which use basically the same feeding mechanism.

Even the tried and true Mauser type extractors don’t grab the cartridge rim until the round has been started forward by the bolt, and the head of the cartridge clears the feed rails. Normally the tip of the bullet is just starting to enter the chamber when the extractor grabs the case rim, unless someone has drastically altered the feed rails.

If your extractor is not grabbing the case until you are actually closing the bolt then I would say that something is wrong with it. Since you said this is a new rifle perhaps it just needs some smoothing up through use.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Current Winchester quality control is quite poor. Send the rifle to a good gunsmith to be fixed.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"If your extractor is not grabbing the case until you are actually closing the bolt then I would say that something is wrong with it"

The round goes fully up under the extractor in the last inch or so of the forward stroke as the case is fully straightened by entering the chamber.

Functionally nothing goes wrong still feeds and extracts 100% of time - Im just not getting the much vaunted Win mod 70 slickness Smiler.

Thanks...

Posts: 41 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loosecat:
"If your extractor is not grabbing the case until you are actually closing the bolt then I would say that something is wrong with it"

The round goes fully up under the extractor in the last inch or so of the forward stroke as the case is fully straightened by entering the chamber.

Functionally nothing goes wrong still feeds and extracts 100% of time - Im just not getting the much vaunted Win mod 70 slickness Smiler.

Thanks...

I believe that “slickness†is a thing of the past with just about all factory rifles nowadays, and it takes a bit more to get them to that point than it did with rifles made 20 or 30 years ago.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I simply love my pre-64 model 70 actions for that very reason.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your extractor needs a little TLC by a good smith; or you could try a Williams extractor.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Loosecat, no one actually gave you an answer!

On a CRF action the external extractor should have just enough "pinch" to hold the round... not too losely, not too firmly. You can test the amount of extractor pinch yourself by taking the bolt out and sliding a cartridge under the extractor. If it's difficult you have too much "pinch." If it's easy but the extractor will barely hold the round against the bolt face there's too little pinch.

To adjust the amount of pinch, remove the extractor (it's very simple... rotate it beyond the groove that holds it in place near the bolt face and push it forward).

To increase pinch, bend the extractor tail inward slightly. To decrease pinch bend the extractor tail outward slightly.

I'd also reccomend taking a fine rat-tail file or bit of emery and lightly kiss the portions of the extractor that contact the case head (if there's any burr's or any overly sharp areas).

Also lightly emery the underside of the rails. I also lightly emery or rat-tail file the feed ramp if there are any burr's or sharp spots.

CRF's are not as forgiving as PF's if they're not properly adjusted, but once they're tuned there's nothing better. The stuff I'm describing is simple... rathher than farming out something this simple to a smith, doing it yourself will help you understand the "how's and why's" of the M70 action for future reference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent - thanks Brad - thats what I thought but not having owned a Mod 70 before I just wanted to make sure it was not part of the feeding process. Thanks for your help everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Loosecat - if you need work done on it I suggest Allen Carr - haven't had much luck with a number of other NZ gunsmiths. Good luck, Charlie.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cducat - I gave it a little tickle with a file and emery board and its smoothed it up no end.