Find
Notify
Tools

Cool Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Here's a really cool Mauser in a desirable caliber at a reasonable price. Oberndorf action, oct/rd barrel, interesting engraving, especially on the bolt sleeve, claw mounted Kollmorgan, etc. Too bad about the stock.

In the new spirit of full disclosure, it's not mine, just passing it along as a public service:

PrewarForesterMauser

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006, I saw that, I like to find those restock jobs for $300 clap. The seller is mighty proud of that broken scrap metal rotflmo

Seriously , That would be Cool to have and duplicate and restock. 9.3x62 with a octogon barrel. Price is outlandish!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
An oct/rd ribbed barrel will cost you $1500 upwards today, not to mention an Oberndorf action, claw mounts, engraving, etc.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a good point. Looks like the front base is dovetailed into the receiver.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Looks more like a converted custom than an original oberndorf sporter to me, nice gun either way though.

Too bad about the stock. Looks like a job for Chic.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I don't believe it is a converted Oberndorf sporter either. Lots of pre-war smiths around Suhl & Berlin used commercial Oberndorf actions for raw material though, just like the British trade.

It looks to me like the front mount base is soldered on the top of the ring, not cut through the ring, but can't tell for sure.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bet the barrel would cost more than $1500 to duplicate.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does someone make low rings for those claw bases, Like these?

http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/045490000/45490882/pix1380154782.jpg

I saw another couple rifles with claw bases but no rings, or just those super high ones like this

http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/045336000/45336554/pix1125493516.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006:

That looks to be a very nice metal in a good chambering, if the metal is good as it looks it would make a fine rifle....

If I was not planning something different, I would look real hard at that rifle.

Thanks for posting that link...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
If the barrel threads are small ring, it won't matter if it is or isn't dovetailed into the front ring.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
GSP7: Does someone make low rings for those claw bases

Recknagel probably does but getting them properly fitted is difficult and expensive.

The rings & bases on the rifle for sale do not look original to me. Kollmorgan scopes like the one on the rifle were not available when that rifle was made, and the rings look like early 1" Redfields. The bluing on the bases & rings is different from the finish on the rifle too. Nice though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1950 schoenauer with a scope and mount very similar to the 2nd picture of a mauser in GSP 7 post .Are these claw mounts still made ?[that particular type ] If so what would they cost ? just out of interest ! mine has a hensoldt 6x with no windage on scope[itself only on the mt] .i dont know if this is such a great idea being that their would be some tension on the scope body[when the rear windage is adjusted even though its probably only minor] as there is no movement available for the front scope mount . When i tried to adjust the windage on the rear mount the damn screw broke off .Evidently this rifle had a hard hunting life judging by its condition ,is it possible to get parts for this mount ? or would i be better off junking the scope and getting a modern rail mount scope for it with windage ? if i sell the complete rifle i know will lose money on it ! if i want to bring it up to trumps its gonna cost me as well ! mmmmm decisions ! any suggestions ?

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote