New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechambering a 338 Win mag to 33 Nosler
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two Ruger 77's in the US and wondering if they could be rechambered to 33 Nosler ? If so are there any recommendations for a gunsmith who could do this conversion.

Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger 77 action that I have is too short for full length magnums. I am not familiar with the OAL of the 33 Nosler, but if it is of short magnum length it should work. Probably require a different magazine follower.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd pay more to do that than the difference between selling the Rugers and buying Nosler rifles, which are far superior.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 33 Nosler case is 2.59 but I "believe" the COAL is 3.34.

So kind of like the 300Wmag. Longer case but designed to fit an 06 length box.

As to feeding etc. No clue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
The 33 Nosler SAAMI specification is 2.46" case-OAL and 3.40" cartridge-OAL.

Unfortunately a 33 Nosler finish reamer won't clean up the .338 WinMag chamber unless the barrel is setback 0.054" minimum.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might look at the .330 Dakota. I believe it will clean up a .338 chamber. If you want a new neck you would have to set the bbl. back a bit.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
2.46" case-OAL

Well darn shows you can't trust the internet. Wink

Looking on the Nosler site they show the 2.46 but show 3.34" https://www.33nosler.com/introduction/

Difference between std and Max??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another miracle cartridge. More power, less recoil, less powder. For a minute I thought I was reading an old Herters brochure. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Sounds like another miracle cartridge. More power, less recoil, less powder. For a minute I thought I was reading an old Herters brochure. Regards, Bill.

And infinity more accurate Billy. Plus the bullets come out of the barrel, they rise about 2 inches and then fly perfectly level for about 600 yards. Then they drop, JUST A LITTLE BIT !

coffee LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plus the bullets come out of the barrel, they rise about 2 inches and then fly perfectly level for about 600 yards. Then they drop, JUST A LITTLE BIT

bsflag That is exactly what they told me about my STW. Didn't work then either. rotflmo rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a fellow come into the shop once and extol the virtues of his 270 Ackley Magnum. This rifle was practically a laser and 150 grain bullets only dropped six inches in 700 yards. He knew this because,the year before, he had shot an elk at 700 yards. He held six inches high and hit dead center.
"Pretty impressive", says I.
"I know", he replied. He then went on to tell me he had called Ackley to tell him how well his rifle worked and, according to the story teller, Ackley told him he had heard some pretty amazing stories but this one was right near the top.
In spite of the superb performance his Ackley was giving him, he wanted to try something a little different and wanted me to install a 300 Winchester barrel for him. He asked me how flat the 300 would shoot.
"It'll shoot pretty flat", I told him, "but I'd be lying if I said it would match what you say your 270 Ackley Mag is doing."
He kind of looked a little sideways at me and, with a little bit of a smirk, he said, "I didn't really think it would".
Nonetheless, he went ahead with the 300 and accepted that he might have to hold up just a little bit more. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Plus the bullets come out of the barrel, they rise about 2 inches and then fly perfectly level for about 600 yards. Then they drop, JUST A LITTLE BIT

bsflag That is exactly what they told me about my STW. Didn't work then either. rotflmo rotflmo

Well yah F O O L !

You used 175 grain bullets. They are twice the length of 139 grain bullets so they stick out of the case and into the barrel farther. As a consequence you're losing close to 1/2 inch of barrel length that way. Also, because they are longer they exit the muzzle faster than the short bullets so you don't get as long of a burn time to get up the velocities. These Hy-up-in-tent-city cartridges is mighty fussy and sigh-en-trific about such things. Dontchaknows !

holycow

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You used 175 grain bullets. They are twice the length of 139 grain bullets so they stick out of the case and into the barrel farther. As a consequence you're losing close to 1/2 inch of barrel length that way. Also, because they are longer they exit the muzzle faster than the short bullets so you don't get as long of a burn time to get up the velocities. These Hy-up-in-tent-city cartridges is mighty fussy and sigh-en-trific about such things. Dontchaknows !

Well crap that explains it. I just thought I had a slow barrel. Roll Eyes coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

Well crap that explains it. I just thought I had a slow barrel. Roll Eyes coffee

You shouldn't be trying to shoot that far anyway. It puts one hell of a strain on the barrel !

coffee

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent a productive weekend visiting some friends in Hardin, MT, a fair while ago. He had a 330 Dakota that had been a .338 Win Mag on a Sako rifle. It had more velocity, more powder, more recoil, and looked pretty sharp dressed. The recoil wasn't intolerable. I took it up on the bluffs just west of the Bighorn River, and shot at targets from near, to a fair piece out there. Right before I left, I wrote him a check to relieve him of the rifle. He wrote VOID on the check. "No" he said, "I wanted to see what you thought of this gun." "You obviously like it for the reasons I bought it for, so I believe I will keep it."

In any case the 330 Dakota is a dandy cartridge. I thought a lot of it then, and still do. I believe the 33 Nosler is a bit more than the 340 Weatherby, More recoil, more cost of components, More recoil as well, all without any demonstration of extra performance to support the conversion. Did I mention recoil??

It ain't my money, my shoulder, or my vision on the table here. Nonetheless, I believe you will find the 330 Dakota to be just the ticket, and an easier conversion than to the 33 Nosler.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for the 330 Dakota, I have used the 338 WM and used the 330 Dakota for the last fifteen years in the 338 bore, it is more of whatever the 338WM has but still tolerable.
bb

Posts: 402 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies,even those which are off topic . My reason for asking was two fold. Firstly I thought one of the benefits of the 33 Nosler was the length made an easy conversion but my concern was the base diameter of the case compared to the 338 Win mag . Secondly the Nosler brass will be more easily available in Australia compared to 330 Dakota . The reason I am not keeping them as 338WM is I already have rifles in this case.

Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakota will get the cases to you. One hundred cases should last you a lifetime, especially if you anneal.
Good luck on whatever path you take.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you lawn dart . Do you have a recommendation for a gunsmith to do the rechambering

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not worth the expense or the money, do you really think an animals vital area will notice 150 fps ! I think not...

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not worth the expense or the money, do you really think an animals vital area will notice 150 fps ! I think not...

A lot, if not most of the stuff I do regarding rifles has to do with what is in my heart, not what makes sense to other people. Speaking only for myself, the joy lies in the planning and scheming, the collecting of parts, the discussions (emails) with my gunsmith, and overcoming the inevitable bumps in the road along the way. I have found that if I am hunting, or just shooting at long range, I do better with a rifle that is "mine."

FWIW, YMMV.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
quote:

A lot, if not most of the stuff I do regarding rifles has to do with what is in my heart, not what makes sense to other people. Speaking only for myself, the joy lies in the planning and scheming, the collecting of parts, the discussions (emails) with my gunsmith, and overcoming the inevitable bumps in the road along the way. I have found that if I am hunting, or just shooting at long range, I do better with a rifle that is "mine."

FWIW, YMMV.

Well said!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you again lawndart for your pm and comments about why we often like to have different cartridges.
To frankinthelaurels I don't believe in magic in cartridges or elsewhere. I own 6 338Win mags . I also own a 338 RUM and 2 338RCM's . So my question about rechambering wasn't following advertising but for very thought out reasons, particularly in view of the gun laws I live under.
Mark