New
Find
Notify
Tools

1944 Brno Nazi M98: Worth messing with?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy. I've an old M98 action marked 44 and Ce on the receiver ring, CR and da on the barrel. Nazi eagles in several places. My research says this is a 98 made by Brno in 1944. True? The action has quite of bit of shallow pitting which I suppose could be cleaned up with a bit of work. Are these actions any good? Is it worth having the heat treat checked and the action magnufluxed? Or should I just use it as a practice action?

Thanks,

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frontlander,what were you going to build whith the thing or just play with it. maybe you could get a rem 700 and build somethig for a frend ant school

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ce is the code for J.P. Sauer and Sohn. Czech codes are DOU and DOT. Sauer 98's are usually very well made, especially the early ones. 1944 is late for any German made 98, as metallurgy began to suffer under wartime constraints. If your rifle has milled floorplates and bands, then it is probably OK. If the parts are stamped, then I would not use the action for a high $ custom.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
The wartime markings can be confusing and the following site may help;
http://users.swing.be/sw017995/k98kmarkings.htm

I have a Isralie that has a receiver stamped 7.62/243 which I got very cheap $AU150) because the dealer was tired of explaining to buyers that it was NOT a 243 but a 308. All fittings except the barrel carry marks indicating this action was manufactured by Mauser Werke A.G., Berlin-Borsigwalde.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote