Find
Notify
Tools

double rifle conversion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
Does anyone know how much trouble it would be to convert a double rifle chambered for .375 H&H to .375 H&H flanged mag? Seems to me that a double rifle should used rimmed cases. I realize there is a slight difference in case length. Thanks!

Good Hunting,

[ 11-26-2003, 20:34: Message edited by: ACRecurve ]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I think it would be impossible, (or very expensive/impractical), to do this. The 375 belted chamber has a cut for the belt, which makes it larger from the front edge of the belt back to the extractor groove than the rimmed case is. Merely replacing the extractor would suffice for the portion of the case covered by the extractor, but the portion of the rimmed case not covered by the extractor would be unsupported by the chamber wall. Whether this would present a problem or not I don't know. You can't just "set the barrel back and rechamber", like you can with a bolt action or single-shot! The flanged version operates at a lower pressure than the belted round. So perhaps the small unsupported part would not be large enough to worry about.

[ 11-26-2003, 21:19: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Here is a copy of a section of the Champlin web site:

"Chamber sleeve
A few guns with rusted chambers still have good bores,in this case the sleeving of the chambers can be a cost effective alternative. From $ 650.00 "

This would be an option to convert 375 H&H to flanged mag.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
quote:
"Chamber sleeve
A few guns with rusted chambers still have good bores,in this case the sleeving of the chambers can be a cost effective alternative. From $ 650.00 " This would be an option to convert 375 H&H to flanged mag.

Yes, it would! I didn't think of this approach, because sleeving is usually restricted to low-pressure arms. However, in this case, the .375 Flanged probably operates at low enough pressures that this would be safe. It probably could be done by using short sleeves for just the very rear portion of the chambers.