New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 Action Length
 Login/Join

<1moa3006>
posted
Does the 6.5x55 Swede function in a short action?

TIA

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
No, the OAL of the Swede requires the use of a
30-06 length action. Although the Swede case is not all that long, the long bullets make it too long for a short action. [Cool]

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
It depends of that bullets you intend to use. The 6,5 are created for standard military mauser action.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
The SAAMI spec for the 6.5x55 is 3.150" COL. An "Intermediate length" M98 Large ring action would be ideal. It allows a maximum COL of about 3.200".

A "small ring" M98 is built on the same length, and would be of sufficient for the 6.5x55 if pressure was kept to SAAMI spec.

Most however, would opt for the "large ring" action as it has sufficient strength to allow loading to a higher performance level.

Any "standard length" action, either commercial or military would be long enough.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the short action. I built one on a Win M70SA and it worked out very well. I wouldn't want to try and get one to work in a Remington or rugerSA. As has been already mentioned the M98 is perfect. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill why could it not be done on a rem 700 30/06 length action or ruger 30/06 length action [Confused] . This is a project I was considering for next year. I would like to do the 6.5x55 on a rem 700 with 26" stainless fluted barrel and put it in a choate sniper stock and top it with a leupold 4-12x. If it could be done I reckon you would have an accurate outfit.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
Of course the 6.5x55 could be easily built on a 30/06 length action but the original question asked about short actions. I also have one on a M70 long action (this one is a target rifle)and one on a Turkish mauser. The target rifle is chambered differently than the others and has a tight neck and shorter, paralell throat. It's a great cartridge. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,

I have an M38 swede and I like it and the caliber. I'm not keen to alter it save for when it needs anew barrel, so for a scoped up 6.5x55 I will need to either by a cz or do it on a rem 700 06 action.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The intermediate sized Mexican Mauser is a great action for the 6.5x55.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote