Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mounting Question -
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm putting a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 scope on a 458 Win Mag. With my length of pull I have to place the "gold ring" on the front of the scope right in the center of the front scope ring to get it far enough back. I even have a Talley extended front mount. Heck, if I had more room, might even move further back.

Is this bad for the scope since the front lens is in this area?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I measured it and the back of the ring is over the lense, I have another 1/4" before I hit the end of the scope with the ring. I will double check.

If it is over the lense, assume that's bad juju?

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe it is a problem. Although I've never had one apart I would presume there is some kind of rubber seal between the lens and the tube or at least some clearance. I have mine jammed pretty far back to get the eye relief right and I have not had any issues.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
There have been some posts about this issue and it appears some have damaged the front lense. I have a Leupold 2x20 EER scope mounted forward on my Mauser with the Weaver front ring well behind the front lense and clamped up real tight, never a problem.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have done the same thing; putting a ring over the front lens with no problems. As stated, there have been some reports of bad things happening but that might be due to way too much clamping or uneven clamping. What does Leu say about it?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks

What I really need is a scope with about 6" of eye relief. Something in between a standard scope and a scout scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite contemporary scope, the Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5 x 20 mm, has 4.9" of eye relief and 39.5' field of view @ 100 yds.

But the tube might not be long enough, you would have to check that.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ring should not be over the gold ring it should be behind, to mount it otherwise creates problems at some point...

The extended base is supposed to solve that and has with my guns so I don't understand unless your stock is too long...however you can get extended rings for both front and rear and that should solve any problem of spacing.

The FX ultralight referred to in Redoak8s post is the scope for a big bore rifle...Its basically indestructable.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42154 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. This is for the 458 Win Mag Whitworth I bought from you. I have a 15" length of pull and anything other than a full size scope is hard enough to get all the way back, even with a front base extension. I'm even sort an 1" or so on my 8x57 Mauser with a full size Weaver scope. Going to put an extension on it as well and pick up a bit.

BTW - I am going to order that Leupold 2.5X scope. I've heard lots of good things about. I thought about a Weaver 1-3, but the Leupold has a longer eye relief and is fixed power, so should be solid!!!