Find
Notify
Tools

Strength of Spanish Mauser actions??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I just returned from the gun show with a new addition. It wasnt until after I left that it occured to me that this spanish mauser might be a bit on the weak side for the 308 barrel that is on it??

There are not a lot of markings on it and the ones that are there are very faint, it appears to say C13**, has a hinged floorplate and the forward reciever ring has an OD of 1.285. Definatley not a large ring.

Can I go ahead and use listed 308 loads or would that be a bad idea? Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
spanish small ring model 93 in 308 cetme is not a 308 winchester or 308 nato , these are low pressure rifles 45000 cup good for 7mm mauser or 6.5x 55 and the such , I have seen people shoot them in 308 but I wouldn't

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It has an aftermarket sporter bbl marked 308 win.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
is it a mod 93 or a 98 the 98 would have a third safety lug and a guide rib on the bolt if your not sure have a gunsmith check it out , maybe that would be best anyway so he can check headspace , you never know who put that barrel on

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I suppose it must be a '93. Only two locking lugs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took the barrel off some '93s and stared at the parts.

I overload alot of guns, and the '93 Spanish looks strong enough to me to play with, it is the gas path to the shooter's eye that scares me.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Maybe about 16 or17 years ago I sporterized a mod 1916 -.308 Mauser for my son. I was curious about its strength but figured no country would equip there military with a week fire arm.I didn't know it was only suppose to be used with a weaker cartridge. Even now this seem stupid to me; chambering a weaker rifle that will accept a high pressure cartridge. I fired a bunch of cavim ammo in it till I had to fight the bolt handle to open. I feel that there was set back into the action that caused the problem. Whatever the real problem that rifle isn't worth much today. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll try and keep it simple. If it cocks on closing, it it either an M93 or M95, although I've seen a few M96 Swedes converted to .308.
Now, when you remove the bolt, look at the face of the bolt. If it is flat, it's an 1893. If it's round, it's an 1895.
The comments about the .308 CETME cartridge is right on. It was loaded to a lower pressure, but the cartridge has the same dimensions as the standard .308 Win./7.62 NATO rounds which are more powderful.
I did read somewhere, where the H.P.White laboratory said that the guns were safe with current factory .308 ammo, and maybe that's true, I can't say. I certainly would not shoot any of the surplus 7.62 NATO ammo in it though.
Those rifles in their original configuration are the reasons why current 7x57 ammo is so underloaded by the factories here in the U.S.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If someone comes up with a really good idea of how to test one to destruction, I have one that I might donate to the cause........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentelmen, I'm thinking this rifle's origin is being confused by the fact that most people call Mexicans, Spanish! There is not two drops of Spanish blood in all of Mexico,Mexicans are 90 % Indian, not Spanish. In fact, there is probably more German blood there, and a number of German families in Mexico,than Spanish, because of the Mauser plant where these small ring Mausers were made!

Pancho Villa made very good use of these little 7mms in Mexico! I think what you have is a SMALL RING MEXICAN MAUSER! They were made in Mexico, in a Mauser factory, headed, and manned by German machinests, much the same way they did in Argentina, to supply their armys, without haveing to ship the rifles. The rifles were originally chambered for 7X57 Mauser, and had a streight bolt handle, that stuck out to the right horrizonally.

Many, many of these rifles are serving well after 50 years chambered for almost everything up to and including 30-06! All the South Western states have many sporters in the field, made from these Mausers, and I've not heard of one problem with them!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If someone comes up with a really good idea of how to test one to destruction, I have one that I might donate to the cause........DJ

Thats an interesting proposition. Some kite string, and a few sandbags in the west desert should suffice. Time to do it would be my only caveat.

After a little research Ive come to the conclusion that starting with millsurp brass and 300 savage data should work fine for this rifle. I expect to end up about a grain or two over those listed loads. That will make it kind of a +P 300 savage. Im currently getting 2600 fs from a 20" model '99 300 S with 165 grainers, 2700 with this 308 should not be a problem.

Thanks to all for your input.

posted Hide Post
You *very* probably have a 1916 Spanish Mauser.
Guns & Ammo tested them and they were safe: http://www.samcoglobal.com/3082.jpg
They were imported by Samco: http://www.samcoglobal.com/index-2.html

However...
These folks, who have a whole forum dedicated to Spanish Mausers, tend to feel the design is unsafe, and present a good case in the floated caution thread:
http://pub222.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm7

Check out Carbines article on Spanish Mausers: http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/

To make sure your rifle is a 1916 Spanish Mauser:
http://www.angelfire.com/vt/milsurp/spain16.html

-Morgan

<eldeguello>
posted
IF it cocks on closing, and has a flat surface under the front edge of the bolt face, it is an 1893 Spanish Mauser originally chambered in 7X57mm. These are "rated" as only being made to handle pressures in the 42,000-45,000 PSI range. However, one must remember that they were proof-tested at the 70,000-75,000 PSI level. But they are old, and who is to say how much pressure they will handle today!! If one used handloaded ammo in it, pressure levels could be kept down below the 50 K level, and it would probably be OK with the starting loads for the .308 given in the loading manuals. Just don't try to make it into something it is not! It is NOT a Mexican small-ring Mauser! Those made in Mexico are M98 type actions that cock on opening, and are plenty strong enmough for any .308 based cartridges!