New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA-Houston-Mo O/U shotgun firing pin
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A customer brought me the above mentioned shotgun today complaining that the upper barrel would not fire although the hammer was falling. Dis-assembly revealed that the upper firing pin is missing the rear half. This half was not in the receiver and the stock bolt was loose. The customer said he bought it at a pawn shop. Fancy that!

I am going to encourage him to return the gun to get his money back, but does anyone know of a source for these or a 'smith that can machine one as I don't have the specs. The lower pin does not seem to conform to the upper pin.

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I can machine anything you want but without knowing what it's supposed to look like??? Kind of leaves a lot of guess work.

But this is the stuff I specialized in. one off, ain't been made since Jesus made corporal, Unobtainumim, you name it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply KC. I was hoping someone might have the part or the dimensions. I only have the front half and would have to guess at what the back half looks like. It is different from the lower FP. It may be just an issue of where the retaining pin notch is machined. I'll see if I can remove both and determine exactly how they compare.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
If you can figure it out and send a rough sketch i can turn something for you.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will the intact firing pin fit into the hole that has the broken one? Many of this type of shotgun use the same firing pin for upper and lower. Ususally, if there is a difference, it will be the retaining pin slot being cut at a different angle. To get a replacement pin, I suggest a drawing of the existing complete pin with the broken pin as well including accurate dimensions for both. If you are going to have one fabricated for you, I suggest ordering TWO of them so you have a spare....just in case Murphy shows up. A pin can be fabricated off your dimensions with elongated nose and tail. You can then fit the overlength pin as required.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks KC and Mike. The intact pin will fit the hole, but has the cutout located farther forward. It appears the two are the same length. If I were to provide dimensions, what is a ballpark cost to machine two pins? Just a rough guesstimate so I can let the customer decide if he wants to repair it.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
If it's not to complex, I don't see any reason why it would be more then $50

I know smiths can loose things but I would prefer to have the good pin in hand to take the measurements from.

www.KLStottlemyer.com