Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tooling marks in the chamber
 Login/Join

posted
I shot a new rifle recently and the fired cases are showing a lot of circular tooling marks in the shoulder area of the case. Is this normal or should that shoulder area be smooth like the rest of the chamber?

Posts: 12 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sluggo:
I shot a new rifle recently and the fired cases are showing a lot of circular tooling marks in the shoulder area of the case. Is this normal or should that shoulder area be smooth like the rest of the chamber?

On a factory barrel, if the circular marks are only on the face of the shoulder, I wouldn't worry too much about it. To remove them could alter the headspace enough, to require further thinking on the part of the gun assembler. Big Grin

Tool marks in that area won't generally interfere with the performance, or, extraction of fired cases. However, if the marks were on the body, that would be annoying.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
To remove them could alter the headspace enough, to require further thinking on the part of the gun assembler.

ROFLAMO!! animal

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote