New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement barrels/E R Shaw
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I count about ten major or well known barrel makers, with prices ranging from $175 to $400 for ordinary barrels. Most have nice web sites, and some have well known reputations. How about E R Shaw? Nice web site, very competitive prices on both barrels and gunsmithing. What has been your experience, if any?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used a couple over the years; great for hunting rifle.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used a couple. What I found in the ones I tried they seemed rough. Took a LOT of cleaning at first. That was probably 20+ years ago. For me for basically the same $$ I go with a Douglas.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make a good product.
I have had them barrel some rifles and have used many of their barrels,fitted by me,as well as a few barrel blanks.

They just work.At least for me.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I generally always go with Douglas for hunters.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I and another gent I shoot with regularly at range we're members have A Shaw barrel on a rifle. Mine is a chrome moly, his a stainless. We're both happy with the Shaw.

Questions about a Shaw have come up on other gunsites. As I recall, general consensus is they are decent barrels, but one should not expect them to be the proverbial tack driver. As for me, my 6.5x55 1 in 9 twist heavy magnum contour barrel Shaw provides me with consistent 1/2"-3/4" 4 shot 100 yd groups. My friend recently installed a Shaw heavy barrel on a Savage actioned rifles, forget the cartridge, but he was quickly shooting 3/8"-1/2" 100 yd groups with his. He generally buys more expensive, more highly regarded brand barrels. He was quite happy with his Shaw. Neither of us experienced any severe copper fouling with our barrels, something you'd probably read about in replies about Shaw barrels.

Be aware, if you buy direct from Shaw, their delivery time might be several months or more. Mine took over 4 months to receive. My buddy bought his from a company that stocks a selection of them, received his in about a week.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Shaw makes factory barrels for Savage and some Remingtons I believe.
Midway sold Shaw barrels under the Adams & Bennett name some years back. I installed a heavy fluted one on a mauser action 1:10 twist in 308.
Initially it fouled (copper) terribly and accuracy didn't settle down till somewhere north of 600 rounds.. I can get 1/2" groups out of it now, as long as I keep the barrel clean. Regular cleanings with Wipe-out are required, but the more I shoot it, the less necessary it becomes..

I would buy another one... but maybe fire lap it first..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. The info is helpful.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a Model 600 Remington Mohawk rebarreled to .358 Winchester by E.R. Shaw. I don't have any complaints. It consistently shoots sub MOA groups, and cleans up nicely with Wipeout. When all was said and done, they were $100 cheaper than Douglas for the exact same work performed.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote