New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M70 bottom metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a McMillan express for my .375 classic. My rifle has 2 piece bottom metal the stock take one piece. Can it be made to work? ie 2 piece in a 1 piece stock?

What is the best 1 piece bottoms if it doesn't work? Stainless or aluminum?

Are PTAG ones any good? Pretty affordable. I didn't want to have to buy new bottom metal but the stock came along on sale at mcmillans.

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Just inlet it to fit.
If you don't want to do that or have someone else do it look at Williams bottom metal or troll around on ARBay or the E Bay and find a one piece Winchester take off.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's the other way around, one piece can be inletted into a stock cut for two piece, but two piece into one piece has gaps. I'm torn between PT&G and Williams. The Williams would be easier to prep for bluing if that's the finish you'll be using.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
I think it's the other way around, one piece can be inletted into a stock cut for two piece, but two piece into one piece has gaps. I'm torn between PT&G and Williams. The Williams would be easier to prep for bluing if that's the finish you'll be using.

I think you are right, guess I had that backwards in my head, thanks for clearing that up.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could be right. Picking up stock tomorrow at McMillan I may have to buy bottom metal
quote:

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's the Express stock designed for the Sunnyhill bottom metal, you are pretty well stuck with Sunnyhill.

ETA: I see that it is the Safari stock that uses Sunnyhill...their Express stock I haven't used since the stucco texturing is a non-starter for me. I wonder if they would grind that smooth and then paint the stock?

Posts: 549 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
You could be right. Picking up stock tomorrow at McMillan I may have to buy bottom metal
quote:

You can order from CDNN the spacer to use your original bottom metal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean a spacer to use the 2 piece metal on a one piece inlet? Interesting thanks

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya',,, forgot about the spacer. I have my doubts as to it being viable fix. Might work OK, but after paying for a Mc ?

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah probably just get metal

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I would rather have checkering but hey when they have one in stock ready to go on sale complete it's hard to pass up. My hunt starts in 9 months don't want to wait 6 for a stock!
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
If it's the Express stock designed for the Sunnyhill bottom metal, you are pretty well stuck with Sunnyhill.

ETA: I see that it is the Safari stock that uses Sunnyhill...their Express stock I haven't used since the stucco texturing is a non-starter for me. I wonder if they would grind that smooth and then paint the stock?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unable to find spacer on CDNN.....
quote:
Ya',,, forgot about the spacer. I have my doubts as to it being viable fix. Might work OK, but after paying for a Mc ?

White Mountains Arizona