New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem 700 extractor problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a mod 700 in .222 that will not extract a spent shell. (factory or reloads.) My guess is that the flimsy litte extractor that looks like is built onto a piece of spring steel and inserted just in front of the bolt face needs replacing. Any ideas on where I can get one of these? Is this hard to do? Am I right about the diagnosis?

Thanks.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
The 700 extractor has been a common conversation piece on here. My experience is that it usually gives problems with larger cases, however, it sounds like you have a problem. I would recommend getting a good smith to just replace it with a factory piece or just swap bolts. My reason is they usually last pretty well, and you dont have to cut the bolt up. I don't feel the sako or other larger extractor is necessary for a small case like this. FWIW

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
often times, the only slution to your problem is the Sako extractor. I have four actions in the shop now, all destined for the conversion. It is not a question of whether the 222 needs the conversion, it is simply a fact that the Remington extractor will fail at the most inopportune time. Email me.

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a bolt from Gre'tan rifles in CO in 8 days from out the door to back in my rifle(from NY). 95 dollars for a Sako extractor installed, nice work. The original was a constant source of grief and I consider the new option to be part of the cost of any 700 I ever again come to own.

Posts: 1494 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the little "claw" is not damaged, you might be able to attain extraction just by doing a bit of very careful bending of the existing extractor. I've done that on a couple of .222/223s and it worked, still working. The Sako extractors really work well but violate the "three rings of steel" that make Remingtons a very safe action. Opinions..... Jay

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Remington M700 extractors are another problem area for this rifle (see the trigger thread for another).

In my experience the extractor on the magnum bolts will shave slivers of brass from the cases, which then migrate over and jam the plunger ejector.

The last Remington M700 I bought (a .416 Remington ordered from the Custom Shop as soon as the rifle was announced) broke the extractor on firing the third shot of factory ammunition. This convinced me that Remingtons are not dangerous game rifles for sure, and not great hunting rifles unless you bring a spare.

Big Green needs to get its "stoff" in one sock with this rifle. I like to say "if you can't fix it, feature it", but I don't know how to feature the Remington M700.

As for the bolt lock and key, don't get me started... [Frown]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote