Find
Notify
Tools

Blackburn bottom metal question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

Was looking at an "original" Blackburn assy for a pre-64 70 and was wondering about how these are/were made.

Specifically, was wondering if these are made in two pieces then welded together. Looking at it, it looked as though the trigger bow may have been attached to the front part, but wasn't sure. I had been under the impression that the bottom metal was machined from a solid and truly 1 piece. Excluding the floor plate of course.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very old brochure that I have from Blackburn claims that the units are 1 piece, and are not welded.

In fact, the exact words are: "We make the most accurately machined trigger guard, floorplate assemblies available. Our units are cut from solid close grained steel. No Welding! To ensure a tolerance of less than .002 inches, we use CNC machines with custom designed proprietary programs and tooling."

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info, that would more or less answer it. I will try and get a picture to illustrate why I asked the question.

Also, I know at one point, they were also offering just trigger bows for welding onto existing bottom metal, so that made me wonder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never seen one but I heard of Ted welding them in the early days before the cnc machines.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote