Find
Notify
Tools

Modified M/70 floor-plate release
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Somewhere recently I viewed a modified floor-plate release on a M/70 Winchester action that I was hoping to show Jim Dubell so he could accomplish something similar on my MRC1999 short action. Problem is I cannot find it anywhere now.

You guys have any pictures of custom pieces that were crafted to make this prettier to look at?

This is not it, and I think it is a CZ from Lon Paul, but you get the idea. What can you show as far as custom releases go for ideas???

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cant help you with that m70 reliese.

But would like to see how Jim did your bolt knob on your project rifle. Is He putting a Talley on that MRC?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Currently he has liberty to choose. All I am looking for is a pear shaped Mauser style bolt ~90 degree. He just started work on it.

Another pic, but I need help finding the one I was looking for???? I was sculpted on the face to make it blends very nicely.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I havent seen a floor plate mod....only the modification to the trigger bow. Sets the model 70 up like a 1909 argentine release.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I own several pre war pre 64 mod 70s and hate the factory button release. I'll probably replace my pre 64s with the "bow" release. I'll not do it on the pre-wars for obvious reasons.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some photos of some that were done by a fellow by the name of Herman Waldron. Instead of a button he used a flat checkered piece of steel that went straight in and out. Looked great. wish I knew where I saw those photos.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I like the top photo that I posted, but not the bottom. I would like to retain the general release, but add some class to it. I was hoping to avoid going to the 1909 style in the bow. Any other suggestions.

Thanks for your help Bill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of pre64M70 trigger guards, steel, with Oberndorf sporter style bow release, as made by Griffin & Howe, I think in the 1950s-60s. My vague recollection is that they sold these as an accessory and you could buy one without having a custom rifle made by them.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
It looks like I need to save every picture I think looks good. I still cannot find the pics I am looking for with the modifications to the button on the M/70

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slightly unrelated but I've done several hinged floorplate/ M70 style push button release modifications on mil-surp VZ actions. As you say, it's not terribly pretty but still a considerable improvement over the battle rifle design. It's purely personal but from a functional perspective I prefer the push button to the "through the bow" design.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote