New
Find
Notify
Tools

.284 rechambered
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What can a 284 Winchester be rechambered to?
Thanks

Posts: 2668 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7 mag? But why? The 284 Win is an excellent cartridge. All you need to do is throat it out a bit to use the 160 and 175's to their full advantage

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a longer mag box even the 7mag will not fit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.284 Ammo and brass looks hard to find.
The rifle is a Rem. 40xbr action single shot
so no magazine.

Posts: 2668 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
.284 Ammo and brass looks hard to find.The rifle is a Rem. 40xbr action single shotso no magazine

In theory most of the normal 7 mags (Rem Wby) would probably load if you rechamber and alter the bolt face. However while you can probably point the bullet into the port opening and get load what is the opening length? Will the brass eject? Bigger question even if the brass would eject will a loaded round eject? Or will you have to pull the lot.

You can probably make 284 brass by necking up 6.5x284s.

I think you would have less issue with a simple rebarrel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. The .284 was a "new and hot" round with the short powder column and sharper neck/shoulder. All the developments of the last 75 years. With .280 and 7x57 etc. long available, not to mention the .270 WCF didn't catch on as a standard round.

I had a buddy/gunsmith for almost 50 years. (Died on me...it happens.) When it came out, he and his fellow gunsmiths "went nuts" over the 6mm/.284. Top velocities. 4000 with lighter bullets. Accurate with almost any bullet/load. He build about a dozen rifles. He'd be test firing one, someone would see it, shove money in his face and he would set about building another.

And you want to rechamber. -??- (As suggested, the 6.5/.284 brass necks up without difficulty.)

.284 had a larger body, about the same as the "magnums" but shorter case for use in .308 length "short actions" and with the rim of a Mauser standard,7x57,8x57, '06, .270, .243, .308, etc. ERGO: Most "7mm" magnums are an option, same body diameter. In addition to rechambering, you need to "open the bolt face." For this expense you get the barrel wear of a magnum. ?? Your call. Luck. Happy Trails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be cheaper to sell the rifle and buy a new one. I know there are folks looking for them. Mike Detorre sold one here recently.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loiblb:
.284 Ammo and brass looks hard to find.
The rifle is a Rem. 40xbr action single shot
so no magazine.

My son has a .284 Win and I have found brass for it, when it is available I bought a couple hundred of them. Recently I saw on AR here someone (maybe Mike Detorre?) sold 5 boxes or so of factory ammo.
The .284 is and excellent round and gives up little to the 7 mags, oh yeah there's some velocity but at how many more grains of powder and how much muzzle blast and diminished barrel life.
Stay with it as a .284 find some brass and shoot it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I put a new barrel on the .284 and change to a .308 will the bolt face need to be worked on?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I put a new barrel on the .284 and change to a .308 will the bolt face need to be worked on?

nope

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
The chamber is fat already, that leaves out longer cases with the 0.473" diameter bolt face. A magnum with a fat case needs a bigger diameter bolt, maybe not a good direction to go either.

I'd consider it a wonderful rifle just like it is, ballistics are probably nice with 140-grain Noslers and it should be accurate.

I got some unprimed Winchester cases once, they were sitting on a shelf at a Connecticut rifle shop (same place I got the 6mm-284 dies). Come to think of it, I got another 20 cases from the same lot at another Connecticut rifle shop down the road from the first one.

Look for older shops, not like Big 5 or Turner's, that might actually have some inventory. Berman's in San Bernardino would be the place I'd start today.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14610 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Or, you could buy 7.5x55 brass, size it in your .284 die, trim to length, and have perfectly good brass for a .284 Win chamber.

The 7.5x55 Swiss and the wildcat.30/.284 are essentially the same thing. I used to use .284 Win. brass to make all my 7.5x55 rounds before they became more available. No reason the reverse wouldn't work as well.

Or you could PM Frank Martinez and ask him to sell you a hundred of the brand new unfired Winchester .284 brass I just gave him to sell for me.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Or, you could buy 7.5x55 brass, size it in your .284 die, trim to length, and have perfectly good brass for a .284 Win chamber.

The 7.5x55 Swiss and the wildcat.30/.284 are essentially the same thing. I used to use .284 Win. brass to make all my 7.5x55 rounds before they became more available. No reason the reverse wouldn't work as well.

Or you could PM Frank Martinez and ask him to sell you a hundred of the brand new unfired Winchester .284 brass I just gave him to sell for me.

AC, is the 7.5x55 Swiss also a rebated rim?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14610 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not AC, but I'll respond since I've been working with a 7.5x55 recently:

No, the 7.5 rim is not rebated and is approximately the same diameter as the case, which is nominally about .495". The .284 is listed as having a body diameter of .500" and a rim of .473". The two are "close enough for government work" to allow resized .284 to be used in 7.5 chambers. The extractor will usually hang on the smaller rim sufficiently for extraction.

I'm in doubt, however, that using 7.5 brass in a .284 rifle would work without somehow turning the rims smaller to allow them to fit inside the bolt face -- but I suppose it depends on what kind of bolt face you have and how close its tolerances are.

BTW: The 7.5x55 I've been working with is built on an unaltered action which was originally a 7mm WSM. The bolt face is, of course, dimensioned for a .532" case head, but its extractor has no problem grasping the smaller .495" rim dependably.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Work on finding the right brass or some brass you can modify to work.

I have shot a 40X 7mm Mag some. It will eject an empty case but it will not eject a loaded round. You have to use the bolt stop to get the bolt back far enough to eject a loaded round.

Most likely unless you use a benchrest gunsmith you will get a half assed hunting rifle chamber that is too big on the back end and the shoulder will be too deep compared to your dies.

The factory 40X chamber came from the custom shop and will be a superior chamber compared to a hunting rifle chamber. The factory barrel is also superior to most of the run of the mill replacement barrels.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass isn't a problem--

if you can't find .284 then Midway has the superb
lapua 6.5x284 brass in stock, and thats not a hard conversion.

I love my Savage M99 in .284.

beer

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

I'm not AC, but I'll respond since I've been working with a 7.5x55 recently:

No, the 7.5 rim is not rebated and is approximately the same diameter as the case, which is nominally about .495". The .284 is listed as having a body diameter of .500" and a rim of .473". The two are "close enough for government work" to allow resized .284 to be used in 7.5 chambers. The extractor will usually hang on the smaller rim sufficiently for extraction.

I'm in doubt, however, that using 7.5 brass in a .284 rifle would work without somehow turning the rims smaller to allow them to fit inside the bolt face -- but I suppose it depends on what kind of bolt face you have and how close its tolerances are.

BTW: The 7.5x55 I've been working with is built on an unaltered action which was originally a 7mm WSM. The bolt face is, of course, dimensioned for a .532" case head, but its extractor has no problem grasping the smaller .495" rim dependably.

And there are doubtless all kinds of variations on the will/won't work theme.

My .30/.284 was vbuilt on a Winchester Model 88 which the previous owner had created by using a .284 chamber reamer in his .308 Model 88. It was a sufficiently poor move that I was able to buy the rifle and dies (and 50 rounds of loaded fire-formed brass) for $125 at a gun show in Eugene, Oregon.

Of course, the magazine was too short to use anything except deeply seated 180 grain RN bullets as the very longest projectiles.

It's saving grace was that it would group 180 gr. Norma RNs into a very consistent 1/2" at 100 yards. When I ran out of those bullets I sold the rifle.

And yes, 7.5x55 brass worked very well with the bolt face of that particular rifle...to the point where I had quit wasting my .284 brass and no longer had to neck it up as 7.5x55 brass became more common.

The .30/.284 and the 7.5x55 are essentially the same, but they are NOT identical.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Winchester makes runs of 284 brass every year. Just have to keep an eye out for it. It sells quickly.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote