Find
Notify
Tools

Headspace
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted
A fríend of mine has a custom 300WSM, after 2500 rounds, the gunsmith told him the rifle have an excess of headspace of 0.15 mm. Is it dangerous for shooting?
Must he rebarrel the rifle?

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Well, that's .0059 inch over the GO so, it's probably fine to shoot. SAMMI shows a maximum of .010 inch or, .254mm which should be a military FIELD. Because of the large, sharp shoulder tolerances have to be increased to make sure that Bills ammo works with Freds guns and Nancys guns work with Freds ammo. And then those pesky Europeans who can't transpose English measurements into grenouille and vise versa get involved and things get really messy.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Excess compared to what? Realize that the difference between a maximum chamber and a minimum cartridge is .013; you will see that .0059 is nothing. Sounds like that gunsmith just wants to sell a barrel.
.0059 is well within the normal tolerance for chambers and ammo.
If someone is worried about that, they can fire form the brass and not resize it fully. Or set the barrel back so that ammo is slightly hard to chamber. Or just shoot it; this is a non issue.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but this question has always puzzled me. On a modern rifle, how does headspace increase? Does the shoulder of the chamber move forward or does the bolt face move rearward?

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Long to begin with? I would not worry I just bump the shoulder anyway.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
More likely the brass is shortened by the sizer. I need to write a book entitled; "the myths of headspace". Of which there are many. Again,, .005 is nothing, well within allowable tolerances.
If it did happen, how does it in the rifle? It could be a number of things; including what you mention, all of which are quite rare.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah yes - headspace - something that is lacking in mine

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
99% of the time, guns develop excessive headspace because closet gunsmiths figure that they can substitute a cartridge case and masking tape for a headspace gauge or a ball bearing and a depth mic.

coffee Sorry I'm sort of an asshole.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote