New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just purchased a Sears Model 50..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
for the nice FN Mauser action. It's chambered in 30-06 at the moment, but I'm thinking a 9.3x62mm or a 35 Whelen might be in its future

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Pick a style and timeframe in history and have at it. I choose to go with and English rifle in the 1920s/30s, but I am using a different action also.

Good luck.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnly:
for the nice FN Mauser action. It's chambered in 30-06 at the moment, but I'm thinking a 9.3x62mm or a 35 Whelen might be in its future

I bought one too.....it shot so well in 30-06 that I never changed it.....

The 30-06 is a bad one to buy.....once folks see how good they are they just never change them

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duikerman:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnly:

I bought one too.....it shot so well in 30-06 that I never changed it.....

The 30-06 is a bad one to buy.....once folks see how good they are they just never change them

Duikerman,

You act like the .270 is any worse. They all seem to shoot so well that most never becaome the projects they were intended to be.

Johnly,

9.3x62 without a doubt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have my late dads M51. It was one of the first ones made by HS. It's still a 30-06. Why change it? The 30-06 is a far more useful cartridge than the obscure 9.3 whatever.

If you must have a 9.3 then buy a rifle chambered for 9.3 whatever. That makes sense to me.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obscure 9.3! Are you serious!!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to find a way to argue with a guy who has 104 pre 64 M70's and may have half a dozen 9.3's. Just jealosy thats all.

To be honest I never even heard of any 9.3 mm rifle until I got on the net and I have been into rifles since 1953 or before. I don't see 9.3 cartridges for sale here much. It's hard to get 358 Win ammo also for that matter and even the 35 Whelan is quiet once again. I suppose it's more common in Africa but I doubt there are many in Alaska.

I much prefer handling and shooting 9.3-62 rifles over .375 HH's. They don't kick bad and carry much easier. It's just that the 375 is supposed to be the minimum for something or other and I am not sure that a 9.3 would be.

A buddy who hunts plains game in SA has a 9.3 and a 375 Whelan and used one or the other for plains game. I found out that he took some long shots however with a 325 WSM on the last trip and had used long range magnums there before. Somehow I view the 375 HH as a long range DG cartridge and the 9.3 as not.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnly

Did your Model 50 come with that funny FN trigger that has the trigger pivot pin located in the triggerguard?

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
To be honest I never even heard of any 9.3 mm rifle until I got on the net and I have been into rifles since 1953 or before.

Well, I had HEARD of them, but had never seen one until quite recently. But then, the .35 Whelen has been a now & again thing over the years, as well......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only bad thing about J.C. Higgins M50s is that club of a stock. Nothing that a little work with files and sandpaper won't cure. I still have one that is totally untouched. it was planned to be a donor for a .35 Whelen. However, I test fire all donors to make sure I haven't ruined a potential jewel. I loaded up a box of 30-06 ammo with a very accurate load using the Hornady 190 gr. match bullet. It was a bit warm in that rifle, but after insuring that I'd be on the paper, I fired five rounds. You could cover the group with a dime and have change left over. Measurement put it at .400". I fired another five rounds into the group and it enlarged to .65". needless to say, I may alter that stock to make it less clubby, but there ain't no way in hell I'll make it into something else. I have another that may be the candidate. thumb
I guess my point is, just about every Higgins M50 I've owned has been a better shooter that what you might expect. After my single shots, anything based on an FN or Husqvarna Mauser are my favorite go to rifles. I like them as is, and they do make into nice custom sporters.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul

What kind of trigger did you have in your Model 50?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Johnly

Did your Model 50 come with that funny FN trigger that has the trigger pivot pin located in the triggerguard?

Yes it did.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote