Find
Notify
Tools

Nitre Blue Durability?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I want to nitre blue my 3-pos safety lever, bolt release lever (Mod 98) & floorplate lever release.

Will nitre blue hold up well on these parts that will see repeated use or should I rust blue them?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Niter or rust blue will look great but niter blue will wear off much faster then you hope. I'd rust blue it. it will last much longer

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Niter or rust blue will look great but niter blue will wear of much faster then you hope. I'd rust blue it. it will last much longer

I was afriad of that!

Perhaps I will nitre blue the shroud, (dark blue) bolt stop spring (straw) extractor (straw) & cocking piece (straw) while rust bluing the parts that will see wear.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Doesn't last and really looks like shit as it wears. I wouldn't do it again. At least not on a rifle you hunt with.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote