New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser .375 mods
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been comparing Mauser mag wells to my Whitworth .375H&H and can't see why a Mauser can't be opened up in the rear for that cartridge. Obviously the ejector and trigger would need to be adjusted. Possibly a 1917 style scallop in the ring for ejection, but it seems like it ought to work. Have any of you experimented with this? I have some donor actions that I could use, but maybe I'm just chasing my tail on this one.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm probably a touch lazier than dpcd. Wink

I still remove some from the front. About half of what my interarms did. The rest from the rear. Square up the rear of the mag well (oops already covered). I normally used the old MKX bottom with the leaver release.

All said and done. While there is a lot of metal removed on the 375 Whitworth I've never had an issue with it. Nor heard of a failure because of it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one with the rear of the mag box removed but without the thin replacement part. This setup is for a 11.2x72 Schuler and is a bit short for the 375H&H although a bit could be removed from the front.

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I posted in a hurry when I was juggling a few things and didn't think about searching. Jgrabow thanks for the photos, have the box sides been thinned also? Thanks again for the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is some dims you rarely will find.

Measurements from the center of the front guard screw rear to the inside front edge of the magazine box/feed ramp.

unaltered 8x57 1.24"
FN 30-06 1.15"
FN/MK X 375 .95"
PME 375 or 404 1.075"

On the PME guards the rear of the box is moved back, and you will have to remove .040, 1mm from the bolt stop to have enough throw of the bolt for those 3.60 - 3.63 length magazine wells

By moving the bolt stop back you gain in the feed ramp which is a big plus

FYI, I have an older PME 375 H&H guard, 5 shot drop box with an 1909 size bow that I would sell. Of course the receiver has to be machined to properly work with this guard.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM inbound to you Mr. Wisner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was thinning on the box sides, see picture.

The floor plate detent and spring recess was modified also but this allows for only two cartridges in the magazine making this rifle basically a two shooter.

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had a related question. I have a 7mm Mag built on a FN Mauser 98 commercial action. It only holds 3 down due to the internal width of the magazine (length is fine) and the magazine already has thin walls.

Has anyone ever removed the sides of the magazine to increase the width? I'm about 1/10" shy of the width I need to fit 4 down.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would need to go to a straddle floorplate. All the work involved I would just get a new guard for $400-$500. Be cheaper unless you are doing it yourself.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
You would need to go to a straddle floorplate. All the work involved I would just get a new guard for $400-$500. Be cheaper unless you are doing it yourself.
Don

Why would I need a straddle floor plate? I wasn't going to remove the metal frame the floor plate sits against, just the magazine sides above that. Problem with a new bottom metal is this has integrated double set triggers (not the drop in type).

Here's what I'm referring to. Phil posted this a while back. It's his factory Mauser 404 Jeffery mag:

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree it would be a lot better to not weaken your magazine box, and I don't even know it it would work, as you would be changing the stack IMO (maybe)...A drop box is the best and of that I'm sure, but expensive..

You have another option and that is make a very thick steel floor plate, roughly a 1/4" think or a bit more. Mill it out inside a bit and bingo you have room for a 4th round..I did this on a 9.3x62 and it worked like a charm, may work on a belted case but I have never tried it. Also suggest a extra strong magazine spring from Brownells with this modification. Someone on AR makes such a floorplate, but can't recall who.

I see little advantage to an extra round on other than a DGR however..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Don

Why would I need a straddle floor plate? I wasn't going to remove the metal frame the floor plate sits against, just the magazine sides above that. Problem with a new bottom metal is this has integrated double set triggers (not the drop in type).

Here's what I'm referring to. Phil posted this a while back. It's his factory Mauser 404 Jeffery mag:

With no mag box or a seperate piece installed from the top. You wouldn't. Just wasn't what I was visualizing. Thanks for the pics.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote