THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Whazzo cool about 33/40 Mausers? See end of thread.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whazzo cool about 33/40 Mausers? See end of thread.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend who does my FFL transfers has a nice (really) little pawn shop over in Nampa, ID. He has a Mark X in .308 (magazine box plug in the back). It is ~ $350.00 and would mainly be suitable for a project rifle as the stock is cracked. Or add a different stock. I only mention this because I see some people looking for Mark X's for projects. I was tempted to cut out the box block and turn it into a 9.3x62 or 9.3x64, but have a bazillion projects going on right now with Win 70's, Sakos and (gasp!) Remingtons.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its tough buying the cheaper ones nonlocally because you have $50 extra in the gun by the time you pay the shipping and the ffl transfer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion here,seems awfully high to me. I paid 250 for a 30,06 MK 10 a couple years back, and it had a little surface rust here and there, but was really ready to shoot. It now has a timney trigger ,a 26 inch douglas barrel soon to be chamberd for the 25,06 and stocked in a Boyds nutmeg laminate thumb hole sporter. Mite not be everybodys idea of the right stock but I bet she shoots ! Its a good action but the same action with an adujustable trigger can be had under the charles daily name for about 300,00 new ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah,
I don't have a dog in this fight really, and don't know beans about Mausers. I do have a short G33/40 carbine that was issued to the alpine troops in WWII that I have been using as a boat gun when I visit friends in Minnesota for the last twenty years. Little bastard is dead nuts on for the first three shots with an aftermarket peep sight that it came with. I believe this Interarms would be ready to shoot with an aftermarket stock. I did have an Interarms in 30-06 that I bought from a guy in the Army about five days before payday when he wanted to go see some new dancer down at Rick's titty bar on Bragg Boulevard in Fayettevile, NC. It shot well, but I sold it to go skydiving when I was in that phase. duh.

If anybody has an issue stock that they want to unload I might buy it for Rich for the hell of it. He takes really good care of me with the FFL transfers.

Everything is priced for $200 on the boards and $150 more in the non virtual world. Then there are the gun show prices - what are those people thinking????

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart

I hope you know how desireable your little boat gun is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,
you got mail and I will buy the G33-40 if your amind to sell it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems the rifle was traded off for repairs on an Evinrude outboard engine and a new prop several years ago. I haven't been back to International Falls since 1995. It is nicer there than Illinois, but not nicer than Idaho. I will see if I can track it down. I never thought much about it, got it for $100.00 with two boxes of shells and a box of Sierra bullets in 1983. I thought it was kinda cute. I didn't get infected with the CRF bug until I fell in with all the devious types here on AR. If it is still around I'm sure I can trade it back for a beat up model 94 in 30-30.

lawndart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the rifle is 34 miles South West of International Falls. I will be up that way the second week of June of 2006, and will take one bottle of whiskey and a beater Remington in .308 for the recovery effort.

So, what is so special about these rifles anyway? Does being smaller make 'em more cute? What cartridges do you use them for besides 8x57 or 7x57? do you have to kep the pressures low, or do you get them re-heat treated and still keep pressures low?

I always just thought of it as the gun in the Lund brand boat.

lawndart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,

I am not an expert on 33/40's. I do own one and have for almost 20 years. How big of cartridge you can stuff in it but 30-06/270 is probably max. Mine is a 7x57, it would also make a neat 257 Robeerts, or a 6.5x55. I am pretty sure if somebody though about it they could get a 284 Win to work.

Why do I and my sons like mine, these are slick when put together right, and one of the mauser actions that are worth making a custom rifle on ( not the only mauser, just one of the better ).

I would pick up action in good shape without a thought, I would make another 7x57, some things were ment to be together and a G33/40 and a long throated 7x57 are one. They are getting hard to find though.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I will rescue this one from oblivion. If I'm feeling retro I'll turn it into a 6.5x55. If I'm packing my bags for the sandbox by then I'll make sure Ray or someone else can make something decent out of it. I'll leave the peep sight on it, just make the hole and the front bead bigger.

lawndart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, which peep sight did it have? The G 33/40 was favored for a number of reasons. The armories went to the trouble of making them lighter in weight for use by the mountain troops. They were a 98 action with a small ring. Below the wood line there were lightening ( as in weight lightening) cuts to further reduce weight. They make a very nice trim custom rifle.

At one time there were lots of them on the market. Back in the days when you could send off $16 and buy an old 98 (and they would mail it to you sight unseen, no paperwork etc.), you could get a G 33.40 for the same price. Now that the supply has dried up they are much more valuable.

I am a big fan of the 7X57 and that is the caliber I would use on one of them but there are lot of options. If you want a big boomer, you are best to look for another action.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the G33/40 was one of the best of the mausers produced. It was a special gun for the mountain troops and produced as such. The action can be made into an excellent really lightweight sporter and many have had this done. Properly done the rifle will weight at least a half a pound less than starting with a larger ringed action. In addition the workmanship on the action if far better than most, on par with the prewar mausers

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, before you sell it off again for $100, better get a reality check on current prices. Eeker

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the G33/40 was a 40oz. action.

g33/40

This guy has been fishing for a lot more than a grand.

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The peep sight is an adjustable aftermarket unit. IIRC, it attaches to the side of the action and is sitting in space over the rear receiver ring.

The barrel steps are a lot lighter than other military mausers I've seen. This whole barreled action is beddded into an old Bishop stock. It is a dream to handle from a boat or a canoe. Excellent also for shooting raccoons off the garbage cans at night.

When I first got it I speculated that it was an alpine use carbine, but had no knowledge in fact on that subject. What amazed me about the rifle was that the bore was so badly corroded, but it still shot those first three rounds into a tight cluster.

Is there a good article on these action/carbines out there. I don't want to go whole hog into Mausers; I can't pay for any of my present hobbies as it is, but I would like to learn about what I will soon own again.

Thankks,

LD