New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with one last action choice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One last action to choose. I got the actoins for my .375H&H and Heather's .275 Rigby.A real clean 1909 Argi & 1910 Mex.

But could use some input on my 6.5x55 action.
I want to use one of these twoFrownerI have to find this one still) another 1909 Argie or a 24/27 Yogo.

The 1909 Argie is of course beautflly machined
but is a bit long for a 6.5x55.
Tha 24/27 Yogo is the right size. But.. The quality of the machining?

When looking for the other actions i looked a a couple of 24/27s that apeared to be machined quite well, they dodn't look rough at all.

But I read about how rough they are and not nearly as good as a 1909 for a custom gun.
It will be surface ground and polished.

Are there differances between indavigual actions? Some made better than others?

I would like to have the correct size action for the cartrige, but not if it's not a nice action.

Recomendations? I need get this last action and then off to Jim Dubell they go.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My experience is that the 24/47 and the M24 are the better of the Yugo actions to work with. Some of the M24's were FN made, the balance Yugo made but in a time when quality still meant something. The bulk of the M24's were refurbed into the 24/47. My experience has been that they are light years ahead of the M48 and later variants. Of course, each action must be evaluated based on its current condition. If memory serves the Yugo will have a magazine length of 3.230" vs the 1909 with 3.310". Depending on your loading habits that .080" might mean something to you.

I would use either depending on my or my client's plans for use.

Do yourself a favor and ask Jim which action he'd prefer, then there will be no disappointments.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I am sure that any action will work with the amount of work that you are doing. Any good smith can make a "rough" action into a work of art.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r, on either a 24/47 or a M24 how do I tell if it was made by FN or in Yugo?
M24/47s are floating around here so I can actually look at it before buying.

The 3.230 is about right since my 6.5x55 will be set up for 140gn bullets.I think the max cartridge length is listed as 3.150

I just seems that a 1909 Argie is a bit overly long for the 6.5x55. I hate to have wasted space, silly I know.

I thought I could tell a difference between a few Yugo actions quality wise. Was it my imagination or do they vary in quality?

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Allen,

It is near impossible to tell what an M24/47 started as since part of the refurb process included scrubbing. I wouldn't waste my time trying to differentiate because in my exerience quality is near identical.

The M48's are generally rough as cobs. The 48a a little better but they have stamped bottom metal. Roughness is not all there is to contend with with the later Yugos. Machining quality fell off. It is not hard to find actions that are out of square. That is why for any project beyond something that will simply go bang, I shy away from the M48 and it's siblings.

I wouldn't think of the extra magazine space as wasted, rather I'd think of it as saving the longer action for a longer cartridge, just in case. There would be nothing wrong with using the 1909 if you wanted.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote